Oil ratings in manual say SF or SJ what about SL

/ Oil ratings in manual say SF or SJ what about SL #1  

Roto

Gold Member
Tractor
TC55DA and TC33D
My Husky ride on mower says something like use sf, sg, sh, sj or a few of them anyway but you take penzoil 10w40 and it says meets SL ratings does that means it meets all those too because they are lower or does every letter mean something different and have to get something that says sf for example. And is penzoil oil any good for lawn mowers and things like that?

Mike

/ Oil ratings in manual say SF or SJ what about SL #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( it says meets SL ratings does that means it meets all those too because they are lower )</font>

Yes, in most cases.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( is penzoil oil any good for lawn mowers )</font>

I hope so, since that's what I'm using. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Oil ratings in manual say SF or SJ what about SL
Thanks Bird! I found this info on the net myself and you were correct!

Mike

Service Ratings
The service rating indicates that oil's performance properties, such as its ability to deal with extremes of heat, to minimize harmful deposits or contribute to reduced oil consumption. The ratings are expressed as a pair of letters, and for gasoline engines the first letter is "S," for Service. The second letter—beginning with "A" and continuing to the current classification, "L," indicates the performance rating.

It is significant to remember that each succeeding, or higher, performance rating includes all the capabilities of all those that have gone before it. Therefore, the current rating, "L," will work for any automobile engine on the road. And also remember, the performance rating is not related to the viscosity. One has nothing to do with the other. By the way, there are no categories for "SI" or "SK."

Performance Ratings
The following Category/Status/Service list indicates the performance ratings:

SL — Current — For all automotive engines presently in use.

SJ — Current — For 2001 and older automotive engines.

SH — Obsolete — For 1996 and older engines.

SG — Obsolete — For 1993 and older engines.

SF — Obsolete — For 1988 and older engines.

SE — Obsolete — For 1979 and older engines.

SD — Obsolete — For 1971 and older engines.

SC — Obsolete — For 1967 and older engines.

SB — Obsolete — For older engines.

SA — Obsolete — For older engines.

The two oldest categories, "SB" and "SA," should be used only when specifically recommended by the manufacturer. Realistically, if you go shopping at the local auto parts store, you will probably find only oil with the latest ratings. And for those of you with diesel engines, there is a separate rating system, starting with the letter "C." The diesel ratings are more involved, so it's best to consult your owner's manual or operating manual to make sure you have the correct oil in the crankcase.