Dripless (almost) oil fill

/ Dripless (almost) oil fill #1  

Syncro

Platinum Member
Tractor
MF 1532, Kubota B-26 TLB
Most of you probably already know this, but for those that don't I've posted a picture of a very easy way to transfer oil from a 5 gal or larger contaner, as when refilling transmissions etc. Its a hand operated oil pump that can be had for ~$20 at Harbor Freight. The bottom of the pump is threaded with internal 3/4" FIP while the outside of the base is threaded in both 1 1/2" and 2" MIP for use with any sort of extensions. This makes the pump usable with any container, even a 55 gal or larger drum. By attaching a piece of plastic hose on the spout, oil can easily be pumped directly into a transmission, or where ever. Sure beats trying to use a funnel. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif The quality is pretty good too, all steel. I've used mine for years.

Attachments

• 645843-pump.JPG
    645843-pump.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 620
   / Dripless (almost) oil fill #2  
Very similar to the pump I use to put diesel in my tractors. My pump doesn't have the lever handle, just a T handle on top of the pump rod. The spout is the same with a piece of garden hose slipped on the same. My tractor fuel tanks both hold 4 gallons so I can't justify a faster pump.

/ Dripless (almost) oil fill #3  
That is a good idea. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I purchased this at Northern Tool:
"Jack's Power Pump Oil Changer — 12 Volt" Click here to see item

It too was only $19.99 and should make putting that hydro fluid in... much easier. I don't care one bit if it is slow. It can't be any slower than the funnel and drip all over method I have been using. I can't wait to try it soon! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Dripless (almost) oil fill #4  
I just used one of these $5 siphon pumps for transferring kerosene to a kerosene heater. With the fill location being right off the operator platform on my CK20, I was able to just sit the 5 gallon container on the platform, get it started and it siphoned most of it out. The oil is quite a bit thicker than kerosene so it did quit siphoning a couple of times, but for the most part I didn't have to do anything.

/ Dripless (almost) oil fill #5  
I use that same reoary pump you are probably talking about.

I just recently made a 'fuel caddy' It's a 35 gallon drum I painted yellow and bunjied to a small hand cart. I have a vapor vent/filter on the 3/4" bung and the 2" bung has the pump mounted into it.

All i have to do is roll it over to my diesel tractor and throw the hose I have clamped to the spout into the diesel tank, and start turning. usually ont he second or third turn the pump primes and away I go.. way easier to do it that way than to tote four 5g fuel cans and hold them while fueling the tractor, as the fuel fill is on the top of the hood.. which is about 6'-7' off the ground...

I've got my diesel plaques and notice emblems on the tank. I simply toss it in back of the truck and haul it down to the gas station when it needs to be filled.

Soundguy

/ Dripless (almost) oil fill #6  
I have a question about these oil-drain-thru-the-dipstick-tube things: Are dipstick tubes always situated over the deepest part of the oil sump? If not, then you're not going to get all the oil out.

/ Dripless (almost) oil fill #7  
I would say based on my disassembly experience that the dipstick is in the lowest part of the sump but I would expect a manual drain would yield a tad more of the nasties. Usually those pumps you speak of are best reserved for engines where you cant get to the plug like i/o boat engines, old ford big block trucks, etc.

/ Dripless (almost) oil fill #8  
I know that some fords cars use a split oil pan.
The oil pan goes over the cross-member, so there are two sump areas. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I would not suggest using this pump for removing oil unless you were in a pinch. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
There is a lot of junk at the bottom of an oil pan, be it... Engine oil, Transmission, Transaxle or your Tractors Hydro Transaxle.
There is too much sludge and metal particles that it would never pick up.

I am only using it to add the new fluid into the very small Hydro Transaxle fill tube. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif