BX22 oil analysis

/ BX22 oil analysis #1  

Garrabo

Banned
Tractor
3120,X-575,BX1830,BX22
Had an oil sample sent in for the BX22, It claims that there was a close to dangerous level of fuel in the oil, I think it was 1.5%.
the wear metals where fine, and the TBN was fine. the oil tested had 50 hrs on it and I run Mobil delvac 1300 super 15w40

/ BX22 oil analysis #2  
Curious. Did you have a lot of starts and short running times?

/ BX22 oil analysis
Yeah I did, I would start,let it warm up 4 or 5 minutes and work anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour maybe more. Its not to often I run it 4 and 5 hours at a time. could that be all thats wrong, And will that put an almost damaging amount of fuel in the crankcase?

I had my GT235 tested and it came back horrible, Loaded with Lead and Chromium,(Rings and bearing wear),And the oil was full of fuel. I changed the oil at the time of testing and now have 5 hours on the new oil and it already reeks of fuel. John Deere will not respond.

/ BX22 oil analysis #4  
Garrabo,

Just curious, but what do you intend to do?

Change the oll at 25 hours and get a retest? Or run it for another 50 hours and test again?

Or?

Curiosity question as I don't test my oil...just change as recommended...perhaps fat, dumb and happy at my end... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

(My wife would agree to all three... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif )

/ BX22 oil analysis
I called a Kubota dealer and the guy thought it might be an injector, But here is what Blackstone labs told me:
TBN 10.7 still high, Universal averages show typical wear metals for an oil from this type of engine after a routine run on the oil. Wear metals around average levels and in correct balance to show normal mechanical parts inside. Diesel fuel was 1.5%, up near the caution range, keep an eye on the oil level next 100 hrs and then resample, to recheck for fuel.

I will call the purchasing dealer to see what they say as well.

What kind of oil do you run Henro?

/ BX22 oil analysis #6  
I don't mean to hijack this link, but are lots of short running times bad for the tractor? I'd thought that if I wasn't on it I should be turning it off and have been doing just this. When I'm hooking up an implement I may start and stop the engine 5-8 times in a short period of time. I'm only 10 hours in so hopefully haven't done any damage. I must admit last two time I've gotten lazy and have just put the tractor in neutral and left it running.

/ BX22 oil analysis #7  
<font color="blue"> but are lots of short running times bad for the tractor? </font>

newcountry,

I can't defend my feeling very well, but I think it is undesirable to keep starting and stopping a diesel engine. Myself, I try to avoid it and will let my engine idle if I am going to be off the tractor and back on within five minutes.

Now I ALWAYS turn the engine off if I am going to hook something to the PTO. Care about me more than the engine then... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I always felt that when starting the engine suffers the most damage, as there is little oil to lubricate until the oil starts pumping...so letting it run keeps it lubricated.

This is what I do anyway...makes me feel good even if it turns out to have little affect on the engine in the end... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ BX22 oil analysis #8  
I start and stop mine more times then a mail man!. I would have your dealer check the injectors (all 3) and then go from there. One or some might be clogged or leaking. I am surprised the viscosity did not change (go down some). Also what were the wear number if you do not mind? If you have fuel in there, something has to give.

/ BX22 oil analysis
I wasnt happy with the way My dealer brushed me off as if there was nothing that could be done. He said,"I dont know what we can do about it".
The numbers where:
My number - universal average.
Aluminum 2 7
chromium 1 1
iron 10 12
copper 2 3
lead 2 2
tin 1 2
molybdenum 44 17
nickel 0 0
manganese 0 0
silver 0 0
titanium 0 0
potassium 0 0
Boron 42 29
silicon 4 12
sodium 1 6
calcium 2697 2640
magnesium 518 321
phosphorus 1189 1106
zinc 1327 1239
barium 0 1
TBN was 10.7
Vis was 70.6 should be 68-78
flash point was 400-should be >415
insolubles 0.2

/ BX22 oil analysis #10  
Okay, sorry, I'd lost this thread. From being a gearhead on gas (now learning on diesel), I've found it very common to get a relatively high amount of fuel in the oil with frequent starts and short run times. I'm not smart enough to give you a scientific reason for that, but I know it to be a pretty well proven fact. It does not necessarily mean you have a problem. It only means (duh) you are getting a higher amount of fuel in your oil and may need to change your oil more frequently based upon your operating habits and needs. No problems, and I feel that having your oil tested tells you exactly what you need to know. With your operating procedures, you simply may need to change your oil on a more frequent basis.

Of course, there could be several underlying factors, but I really wouldn't worry about them. I'm sort of in the business to get a lot of stats, and the 'ole fuel in the oil has been studied to a fair extent. My guess is that on both a gas and diesel engine, the injectors (even a carb when pumping the throttle to start it) will inject a relatively high amount of fuel into the cylinders to start the engine. Not all of this fuel is burned off, and some gets into the oil. A warm engine does not particularly do this as the injectors are not called upon to introduce quite as much fuel to start a warm engine. Also, my old carb car will start without touching the throttle at all when warm. Thus, my previous question of a lot of starts and relatively short running periods.

Myself, I wouldn't worry about much or even worry about my operating techniques. I would only take the appropriate actions as demonstrated necessary by the oil analysis. In your case, simply change your oil more frequently than the "cookie cutter" chart shows. Not all engines operate the same, and not all operators operate the engines the same. It only makes sense that not all oil would have to be changed at precisely the same time.

Again, smart move to learn your oil characteristics on your particular tractor. Just adjust your oil changes accordingly. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif