Oil cap left off

/ Oil cap left off #1  

poisonoakhill

Tractor
Kubota L3430 723 fel
Well I am finally asking a question. I could usually find the information I needed by just searching.
At my 50 hour service the dealer left the oil cap off. After about 30 hours of use I finally figured out why I was smelling burning oil. The oil is not low but appears very black. How much damage could have been done to the engine due to this oversight. I would appreciate any insight before I contact the dealer.........k

/ Oil cap left off #2  
take an oil sample to check for high levels of Silicon.

/ Oil cap left off #3  
It doesn't take long for oil in a diesel engine to turn black. Since the oil level was not down, you have nothing to worry about. I'd change the oil and the filter and call the dealer and let him know one of his mechanics made a mistake.

/ Oil cap left off #4  
I would be worried about dust, etc. getting into the oil since there was no cap. I second the idea to get the oil tested. Abnormally high levels of contaminants would be worrisome as it would have been going through the engine the whole time. You may wish to call it to your dealer's attention and let them take the sample in your presence. That way everyone knows where the oil came from.

I definitely wouldn't drain the oil and continue on. I would want verification that the oil was lubricating as designed.

Oh, and I've left the oil cap off when changing oil on one or two of my cars in the past. Other than oil flinging out all over the place on one of them, I don't think any harm was done. But that wasn't in a dusty situation.

/ Oil cap left off
Thanks for the advice guys. I called the dealer and he sent me a new cap and filter. It really wasn't too dusty out here. January to April in Oregon it is kind of hard to find dust.
If I wanted to have it tested, how much would I need and where would I take it?

/ Oil cap left off #6  
<font color="blue"> If I wanted to have it tested, how much would I need and where would I take it?</font>
Click ----> Here

/ Oil cap left off #7  
I'd drain and change out the filter, too. Too much risk in having something get into the engine via that open hole.

Ralph

/ Oil cap left off #8  
After yuo get your oil sample, then I'd drain the oil, and install a new filter and new oil. Run that for a n hour.. then drain and refill, and yet another new filter... then I'd go on and wait to see that oil report.

On my next oil change.. I'd do another report. See if lots of metal shows up!

Now.. on the plus side.. even a brand new diesel has some crankcase pressure due to blowby.. these's quite a lot of air being compressed in those hi-comp systems.. and some does escape.. only a puf or so.. but that positive pressure may have saved you... keeping the air flowing out and not being drawn in.. etc.

good luck. If both samples come out ok.. I'd guess you dodged the bullet.

You'll probably pay 30-40$ for the two oil samples.. plus the cost of the dual oil change.. but is small change compaired to just running it and hopeing.

Soundguy

/ Oil cap left off #9  
Lucky oil didn't spray all over the place. This happened to my BIL when he left the oil fill cap off on his Benz diesel engine. Had oil all over the engine bay.

I left mine cocked (only one tang of the cap engaged) once. Got a lot of oil such that I had a puddle on the garage floor from it.

Brush ripped out the dipstick of my Gravely once. Oil was spraying all over the place.

Ralph

/ Oil cap left off
Thanks again for all the advice. I sent for the test kit. I will have it checked at least once, maybe twice as soundguy suggests.