Diesel Shelf Life

/ Diesel Shelf Life #1  

SteveInMD

Platinum Member
Tractor
TC33D
I recently installed a 275 gallon diesel tank next to my barn. I have my tractor, a car, and a truck that run on diesel. My question is how long will the diesel remain in good condition? My tank was red when I got it, but painted it light grey (same as my barn) based on the advice of the fuel delivery guy. He said it would keep the heat off the tank better than the red so the fuel would last longer. The tank feels like it still gets very hot to me, I guess I should have gone with white. Can anyone tell me if I should repaint the tank white? Should I add a stabilizer? If so, which one and where do I get it?

Thanks....

/ Diesel Shelf Life #2  
I dont have a lot of experience, but I would think if you were subject to heat on the tank the main problem would be condensation inside which would lead to problems in the winter. Unless of course you ran it down towards the winter months.

/ Diesel Shelf Life #3  
Kind of off topic, But I assume you are using highway diesel if you are using it in you tractor, truck, and car. You could use off road diesel for your tractor and just fill up your vehicles at the station and save $$.

/ Diesel Shelf Life #4  
We empty out our larger stationary storage tanks ( 8000 gal ) and exchange for fresh diesel yearly. Smaller fuel tanks ( less than 1000 gal ) usualy get used up exerciseing machinery monthly and will always have fresh fuel. We are forced to keep all tanks full at all times and I think that helps with the moisture somewhat. Long term storage in our tanks has shown condensate in the tanks, tank rust, ( only above the fuel line in the tank ) and alge growth. Outside temps go from +25 - +110 in the summer. Even in these conditions the fuel still burned fine, couldn't tell the difference. Shelf life??? Who knows. But if it were mine I would empty the tanks at least yearly from years of changeing tanks where this hadn't been done. Also have a oversized filter and moisture seperator in the service line. Best I've used is Racor. We run much larger engines, but burn the same diesel.
Chris

/ Diesel Shelf Life
I guess I'll just get some stabilizer somewhere and hope for the best.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Kind of off topic, But I assume you are using highway diesel if you are using it in you tractor, truck, and car. You could use off road diesel for your tractor and just fill up your vehicles at the station and save $$. )</font>

I am using highway diesel. I pay a little less than I pay at the station. Also I can fill my tank in August when diesel is at its low price for the year. However my main motive is convenience. I've never found a good way to fill my tractor with a 5 gallon can. And my wife hates going to the station, so I end up having to take her car just to fill it up. I always think I'm going to run out of fuel half way there since she doesn't tell me about it until the low fuel light has been on for a week.

/ Diesel Shelf Life #6  
Consider yourself lucky.... y wife has done it twice. My daughter did it maybe 5 times.....

They manage to run cars or trucks out of fuel just as they turn into the driveway.....

Sometimes the hardest part of being a husband and/or father is not jumping under the bus.......

/ Diesel Shelf Life
I've explained that it's not a good idea to run a diesel motor out of fuel. My explaining din't help anything - go figure.

/ Diesel Shelf Life #8  
The shelf life isn't 4 1/2 years! That's how long the diesel was in the tank of my car while we lived in Singapore this last time. The car started and ran okay, but the diesel was BROWN. Had to add some Techron Red Line to stop the pinging. Had to do this when we first got the car at 1 year old, too.

Wonder if there's a way of fashioning an air breather for a diesel tank whereby the air would bubble through some ethanol or methanol? Then just change out the alcohol every 6 months or so. This would capture any moisture that wanted to come in. I had a fuel oil tank during that oil embargo period that I took fuel from for the car. Didn't have any problems with the car. Then tank (underground) eventually developed a leak that put water into it.

Ralph

/ Diesel Shelf Life #9  
seeing how you have 3 vehicles that run on diesel and a 275 gal tank, i don;t think you have to worry about it, UNLESS you have extreme temp changes in a short time span.but even then i don't tink you have much to e concerned about.

/ Diesel Shelf Life #10  
If I were filling my truck and car out of a 275 gallon tank it woulnd't have time to spoil. I know I have bought farm diesel in December and not used a drop until spring with out any problems.