what brand of oil

/ what brand of oil #1  

deere755

Platinum Member
Tractor
Case 2090 Massey Ferguson 4233 John Deere 4700
I am sure this has been talked about before but I was wondering what weight and brand oil do most of you use in your small diesel tractors? I just switched to Shell rotella 15w40. Do any of you use this?

/ what brand of oil #2  
I would use the search function (up top near main index) since Rotella and oils have been beaten to death....

/ what brand of oil #3  
Naturally, there are a number of different oils used by different people, including synthetics, but from my experience, and from what I've read the past few years on Tractorbynet, I think (certainl cannot say for sure) that Shell's Rotella 15W-40 and Chevron's Delo 400 15W-40 are the most popular. Personally, I used the Delo 400, but just a guess from what I remember reading on this forum is that the Rotella may be the most popular.

/ what brand of oil #4  
I use the valvolene 'fleet' 15w40 diesel spec oil in my Nh 7610s, and my ex nh 1920 when i had it.

Soundguy

/ what brand of oil #5  
I like Mobil's Delvac 1 5W-40. It used to be very hard to find but now it's available as Mobil 1 Truck & SUV.

You can sometimes find it on sale for $3.99/qt.

It's about the best oil on the planet!!!

/ what brand of oil #6  
For $4 a qt and you get low Ca, low P, VI of 151 and Sulfated Ash of 1.35%. It is good but there are better oils (with higher numbers) for a slighty more money. I think there Suv has an HTHS of 3.6. Which for the price, I guess it is not bad.

/ what brand of oil #7  
From what I read and understand, the 3 most popular are probably Shell Rotella, Chevron's Delo 400 and Mobil Delvac, all in 15W40. There are others and some may be better but because of distribution and lack of availability their use may be restricted.

Personally, I have always used Rotella in my diesels and why? .... because I can get it anywhere around here. Lately I have switched to Rotella synthetic 5W40 in my little tractor for no other reason than it only holds approx 3 quarts so the cost difference is minimal, especially since I got it on sale at Walmart. My truck holds 15 quarts and gets dino Rotella 15W40. The farm tractors get the same. It's a good oil. Some oil fanatics may say it is not the VERY best oil, but it's more than good enough for it's intended purpose if it's changed at the recommended intervals.

/ what brand of oil #8  
Hey GSXR, isn't Rotella only supposed to be used in Ford PowerStrokes? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ what brand of oil #9  
I hope not..When I had my Powerchoke it did not get it..I hope I did not break the un-written Ford rule by using a better oil! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ what brand of oil #10  
I run the dino Rotella in my Yamaha FJR1300, car, truck and the Kubota these days. Seems to do well and the price is right too.