Super UDT vs. Premium UDT?

/ Super UDT vs. Premium UDT? #1  

Jackrabbit_Slim

Silver Member
Tractor
B2710
As noted by Slowzuki in another post, here in Canada there is no such thing as regular UDT and Super UDT. We have "Premium" UDT. Period. It sells here for about $65.00 CDN for 20 liters (5 gallons).

A couple of posts from Kubota owners who've gone from UDT to Super UDT (or gone the other way) and their experiences with changes in performance have caught my attention over the last little while.

Just wondering if anyone knows exactly what Premium UDT is... are we looking at UDT with a different label on it, or is it Super UDT tagged as "Premium?"

Thanks,

Slim

/ Super UDT vs. Premium UDT? #2  
I was at my dealer this afternoon and I asked about the Super UDT and they made a few phone calls and Kubota Canada told him that Super and Premium UDT were the same oil and that the Super UDT label is for the USA only. The local price is $53.80 (~$43.04 USD) for a 20 litre (5.27 US Gal) pail. Does this price sound to low to be Super UDT?

/ Super UDT vs. Premium UDT? #3  
To give you an idea, we pay about $75 for 5 gallons or $15 a gallon or $3.75/quart here in the US. If your premium is in fact the same as Super then you guys are getting a good price.

/ Super UDT vs. Premium UDT? #4  
Here's some info I got from another poster, form another forum.

<font color="blue"> It seems that Kubota Canada is trying (succeeding?) to stop a sales leak while also cutting costs to boot.

A Canadian oil company caled Petro Canada has become a world-leader in developing specialty petroleum as well as semi & full synthetic lubricants and specially formulated asphalts.

One of there newer products is a HST / UTF called Duratran™, a full synthetic product. It is so good, and performs so well in HST applications that a lot of dealers were buying it instead of Kubota's Super UDT. It out-performed Super UDT and it was also a LOT cheaper than Kubota's own product.

The solution? Simple. Make a deal with Petro Canada whereby they ship Duratran™ in containers labelled "Kubota Premium UDT", Kubota Canada buys exclusively from Petro Canada, and in return Petro Canada can no longer sell directly to a Kubota Dealer.

So, Kubota re-captures lost sales, Petro Canada gets more sales, and we all get "Premium UDT" which is a superior product, albeit at a higher price unless you know enough to go straight to a Petro Can. distributor and ask for it by name.

Just don't tell the Petro Can. people what you're buying it for, if you do they're not allowed to sell it to you, they have to tell to buy the OEM product. </font>

/ Super UDT vs. Premium UDT? #5  
   / Super UDT vs. Premium UDT?
Thanks fellas.

That's interesting stuff. I'm off to find out if there's a Petro Can bulk dealer here in the Valley.

Just as an aside and not to change the thread or anything, I was talking with a guy in Canadian Tire on the weekend, Luremaker, who looked like he was buying the entire store out of bulk 15W40. Tells me he runs logging trucks and thinks the "house brand" stacks up against anything else on the market. Asked the fellas at the parts counter who makes it and of course, they don't have a clue. Do you know?

Slim

/ Super UDT vs. Premium UDT? #7  
I asked around here about the Can Tire Oil and was told that some their oil is made by Petro Canada and some by Shell. That is all I could find out. I have only used Kubota oil up to this point in my Kubota. Steve

/ Super UDT vs. Premium UDT? #8  
Thanks for the tip, I've got a bunch of pails of Premium UDT sitting in the garage waiting for my lazy arse.

/ Super UDT vs. Premium UDT? #9  
Thanks. When our MF is ready, I think it will give the Petro oil a try.