oil pressure guage line mostly air. accurate?

/ oil pressure guage line mostly air. accurate? #1  

Roto

Gold Member
Tractor
TC55DA and TC33D
I got a new mechanical oil pressure guage on tractor. It started with all oil in the line but now its mostly air with a few spots of oil. seems to drain back in tractor a little each time. It still reads 35lbs when running which is good and seems to have no problems but wondering if it is still accurate with air puching it instead of oil?

Mike

/ oil pressure guage line mostly air. accurate? #2  
Air in the line will not affect the pressure reading, provided it is not leaking air and oil. As long as it's sealed leak tight it should read OK.

/ oil pressure guage line mostly air. accurate? #3  
The air might make it spongy.. but ultimate pressure reading should be ok.. air does compress.. solike i said.. spikes may be dampened.. but even when compressed.. it's still PSI on the gauge..

soundguy

/ oil pressure guage line mostly air. accurate? #4  
If you change to copper line instead of vinyl you wont be any the wiser...lol /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ oil pressure guage line mostly air. accurate? #5  
Eh?

Soundguy

/ oil pressure guage line mostly air. accurate? #6  
In other words.......if you can't see the air, who cares??

/ oil pressure guage line mostly air. accurate? #7  
Exactly...
Viewing auto guages on customers vehicles for years I see bubbles in all the ones with see thru lines

/ oil pressure guage line mostly air. accurate? #8  
Ok.. gotcha. I've no use for the vinyl lines anyway. I think for tractor applications they are a tad 'wimpy'. They get brittle and break.. can't fix them.. at least with copper, a hardware store stop and a couple ferruls and a coupler and you can be back in business in about 5 minutes...
Plus you can bend and runthe copper to better follow the contour of an engine side or bellhousing and stay out of the way of things like branches.. etc. The copepr isn't very alergic to hot parts like the palstic lines..

Soundguy

/ oil pressure guage line mostly air. accurate? #9  
Copper work hardens and becomes brittle, too. You're probably better with a steel line or maybe the newer braided steel-reinforced rubber lines with steel ends. For an oil pressure gauge, I vote for electronic though. Think the only reason they don't do more of them electronic is because their readings jump around so much and bug people and probably largely why they eliminated them (other than just for cost reasons). The air in the oil-part-filled lines dampens out most of the variations in pressure.

Ralph

/ oil pressure guage line mostly air. accurate? #10  
Id vote electric sender unit too... no hose to break and squirt /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gifhot oil all over ones feet on a "bad day"