Cetane Ratings

/ Cetane Ratings #1  

jcmseven

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 2320; 4520
Fellow Posters:

I was reading the owner's manual on my tractor yesterday (trust me, not long though) and noted the diesel engine manufacturer noted a cetane of 50+ was recommended for my tractor. I have used Power Service in my tractor once, but could not tell much difference in the power or smoke level (my tractor really does not smoke that much). Do I need to be running a cetane booster in my fuel, and if so which one? I have yet to find any fuel locally that has a cetane greater than 40.

John M

/ Cetane Ratings #2  
Cetane is the rating regarding the fuels ability to burn. Unfortunatly, its hard to figure out what cetane the fuel you are running is rated at because of lax regulations for diesel currently. The best thing you could do is like you mentioned, pay attention to your engine. If you dont notice a difference, decide for yourself if its a waste of money or not. My recommendation would be to run a conditioner/cetane booster like PS or Stanadyne all the time. My experience with them is that it helps give a more consistent fuel quality. They not only boost the cetane, wich helps in idle quality, performance and fuel economy, they also add a lubricity to the fuel which helps keep all the moving parts,even the piston rings lubricated. I have done a test on a truck, that showed about 1.5-2mpg increase by using an additive as wel as quieter operation and easier starts. Basicly it pays for itself.

/ Cetane Ratings #3  
Go to a British Petroleum (BP) outlet that sells #2 Diesel Fuel and fill up there.

BP took over Amoco and the high quality Amoco Premier 50 cetane is now BP Supreme 50 cetane, the best you can get until ULSD becomes mandatory next summer.

/ Cetane Ratings #4  
What's the higest level of cetane that can be run in a diesel engine?

I spent a few minutes searching and saw 55-60 in a couple of places. Just wondering if it could even be higher and safely operate an engine.

/ Cetane Ratings #5  
There is no use in operating above 55 cetane in any diesel engine as the ignition delay is at its minimum at that point.

Some of the synthetic diesel fuels derived from natural gas conversion spec out at over 65 cetane, but it is of no use in even the most modern engines, 55 cetane is adequate for the most advanced turbodiesel engine combustion chambers.

/ Cetane Ratings #6  
Thank you. That's good information to know. Had never seen it in print or knew anyone that could tell me. When I saw this thread I figured I'd ask.