Grease Gun - What am I missing?

/ Grease Gun - What am I missing? #1  

Holzster

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L4330 HST
OK here goes. I have greased many thingy many times. but as my old gun wore out I got a new pistol grip one from TSC Here is a link

TSC Grease gun

I got it loaded the first time no issue used it fine. I ran out of grease yesterday so I reloaded it & I can not get any grease to come out. & yes I took off the 2 caps on the tube.

All I can guess is that there is air in the line or tube. I see a button at the top that can be pushed down. I tried that, but did I do it right?

I have a feeling that this is going to be somethnig simple that I am missing. Am I? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Grease Gun - What am I missing? #2  
Button at the top is for filling gun with grease from a bulk container.
There is probably a air pocket at pump end of gun. If air pocket is not large just pumping will start grease coming out fitting end.

/ Grease Gun - What am I missing? #3  
You need to hold the button down while pushing the rod in and out. Actually, by repeatedly triggering the gun you can expell the air

/ Grease Gun - What am I missing? #4  
Must have been a mistaken report that Daryl had left us for greener pastures . /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Grease Gun - What am I missing?
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( You need to hold the button down while pushing the rod in and out. Actually, by repeatedly triggering the gun you can expell the air )</font>

Daryl

YOU ARE THE MAN!! That was it - I KNEW it was simple Holding the button I pumped it 5 times - grease then cam out!!

Thanks again
/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Grease Gun - What am I missing? #6  
You can also lock the plunger and just push on it with the button down till you get grease or just push and pump if it is nice and warm out.

Egon

/ Grease Gun - What am I missing? #7  
One more thing that can get you. Some (all?) grease guns use a 1/4 turn disengage on the push rod. So, if the rod isnt engaging the piston head you can pump some grease but that soon stops when whats at the top is gone.

/ Grease Gun - What am I missing? #8  
Good to hear you figured out your problem. I bought one similar to this. It helps to pull the plunger at the bottom back to its stop at the end of each use. Otherwise, grease will tend to leak around the plunger and end up behind it. You'll probably notice that when you pull the plunger out to the lock position that some grease comes out. This is leakage. Didn't have one with a lockable plunger previously. It would end up leaking a lot of the grease.

Ralph

/ Grease Gun - What am I missing? #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( It helps to pull the plunger at the bottom back to its stop at the end of each use. Otherwise, grease will tend to leak around the plunger and end up behind it. )</font>

RalphVa,
Sort of like a caulking gun?...I'd never though of that. Thanks for the tip. I'd always get PO'd about so much grease getting by.
Thanks again. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif