2nd oil change coming up..can I switch to Rotella?

/ 2nd oil change coming up..can I switch to Rotella? #1  

ArkCivEngr

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400DT, John Deere X495
I think this is probably a very stupid question, /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif but I'll ask it anyway because I always seem to learn something on here.

I rolled 90 hours this morning on my L3400DT, so I'll be due for the second oil change in 10 hours. At the first oil change, I got Kubota 15W-40 oil because I was getting transmission/hydraulic fluid and filters at the same time.

I figure the same Rotella I put in my Cummins is as high of grade as the Kubota--if not higher. Or is it? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

And is the price difference enough to even warrant thinking about it? I've just pilfered through my desk (not a pleasant task) and can't find the receipt for the Kubota oil.

/ 2nd oil change coming up..can I switch to Rotella? #2  
Since they are both dino oils, you can switch at anytime. You could put a synthetic in without any issues.

Yes, Kubota oil is overpriced. I think it is like $3 per qt. For a dino oil, that is crazy.

Not a stupid question at all either..

/ 2nd oil change coming up..can I switch to Rotella? #3  
Now might be a good time to switch to synthetic rotello

/ 2nd oil change coming up..can I switch to Rotella? #4  
Isn't Rotalla along the same lines as the Walmart house brand of synthetic, whatever they call it? I'd personally go with the Walmart brand of synthetic over Rotella since Rotella is a "price" oil.

/ 2nd oil change coming up..can I switch to Rotella? #5  
Don't you mean Rotella?

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Now might be a good time to switch to synthetic rotello )</font>

and why is that?

and why would I go down in oil quality?

Also Rotella is not a synthetic here. Only in American can a group 3 dino hydrocracked oil be called a synthetic.

/ 2nd oil change coming up..can I switch to Rotella? #6  
compliments of CASTROL and our legal system..........

/ 2nd oil change coming up..can I switch to Rotella? #7  
I just switched to Rotella T Synthetic at 88 hours.

/ 2nd oil change coming up..can I switch to Rotella? #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I just switched to Rotella T Synthetic at 88 hours. )</font>

The unvarnished fact is that as long as you find CG-4, or CH-4 or CI-4 on the bottle, you will be fine, and probably a better grade than the Kubota overpriced stuff. That holds for normal or synthetic. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I am a synthetic fan, so you can count on me using Rotella T Synthetic or Mobile Delvac 1300 or Mobile Delvac 1, or Mobile Truck and SUV. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just a note, Rotella T comes in both normal and synthetic, and the bottles are very similar. Just read the label carefully. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Another note. While Amsoil may be fine, they have refused to get independently certified for over 30 years. I will consider Amsoil when they get certified./forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ 2nd oil change coming up..can I switch to Rotella? #9  
there is a reason why they do not get APi cert. Just like Redline Mobil1R, Maxima, Mobil EP and many racing oils.

I would want an oil NOT to be APi cert since they limits good things in the oil.

To me that is a poor reason not to use it.