gsxr1100, mike i have an oil question

/ gsxr1100, mike i have an oil question #1  

ericbx1500

Gold Member
Tractor
BX2380, scotts 48
Mike I have a generator with a 16hp twin cyl that I use synthetic oil in. my question is I change the oil once a year usually in oct before winter. Do you think I could get two seasons out of this oil? The generator is for standby only and I only start it every 2 months and let it run for 20 to 30 min. I maybe have one or two hours on the oil now and was thinking of changing it next month. Just looking for some input.

/ gsxr1100, mike i have an oil question #2  
I personally think no, since the short runs will kill the oil quick. I would be worried about fuel in oil, maybe some water, low TBN and high (or higher TAN) ratings.

But then again it could but you would need to test. Now unless, it takes over 4 qts of oil (@ $5 each), the oil test will cost more then the oil change.

/ gsxr1100, mike i have an oil question #3  
My generator only takes a quart and a half. The oil and fuel get changed out annually. Some season the generator will see 40+ hours of run time, others less than 10. The oil gets recycled and the fuel goes into the push mower and chain saws.

/ gsxr1100, mike i have an oil question #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The oil gets recycled and the fuel goes into the push mower and chain saws. )</font>

You are gutsier than I am. I firmly believe that little engines work harder per capita than big engines. I regularly dump the fuel from my garden can into the car and buy fresh fuel for the hard working lawn mower and chain saw. No way I would run old fuel in either of them. Now, the caravan that drives hundreds of miles a week? Heck. year old fuel mixed 1:20 with whats in the tank? I do it without blinking. There is no way I would use that stuff in a lawn mower or, heven forbid, a chain saw or string trimmer. Even the fuel/oil mix gets dumped in the car. It doesn't even hickup but the trimmer definately notices the fresh fuel after a mere 6 months..

/ gsxr1100, mike i have an oil question #5  
I agree but on a different level. I think the oil in little engines work harder, not the engine. But I would not get the habit of dumping fuel that has oil in it. Over time it will have effects on the oil and maybe emissions components.. Just pull an UOA and it will show up with higher levels.

/ gsxr1100, mike i have an oil question #6  
since short runs kill the oil quick. then why not syn oil over dino for the generator? Are you saying that dino oil won't kill as quick as syn. in a small motor ? In my small gen. I use 30 wt hd. dino oil . seems to me syn would be better than dino in these small motors.

/ gsxr1100, mike i have an oil question #7  
I stated what I did “I would be worried about fuel in oil, maybe some water, low TBN and high (or higher TAN) ratings.” This is how short run kill (stress) oil quick then just plaing running. Having fuel in oil will hurt many things, along with H20. Then there goes your TBN, and other values.

Yes, some synthetic, not all since synthetic can mean many things as we all know, will help with acid naturalization, more shear stable, etc etc. But in the end, I would not run two seasons out of the oil; Unless you have filters (fuel and oil) and test then maybe. But the oil test alone will be around $25. So if you use less then $25 worth of oil, what are you gaining? This for longevity etc.

Yes overall performance with a synthetic should help (high temps etc), but then again you would need a filter to really help here. Then comes if the oil has ash etc.

/ gsxr1100, mike i have an oil question #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( </font><font color="blueclass=small">( The oil gets recycled and the fuel goes into the push mower and chain saws. )</font>

You are gutsier than I am. I firmly believe that little engines work harder per capita than big engines. I regularly dump the fuel from my garden can into the car and buy fresh fuel for the hard working lawn mower and chain saw. No way I would run old fuel in either of them. Now, the caravan that drives hundreds of miles a week? Heck. year old fuel mixed 1:20 with whats in the tank? I do it without blinking. There is no way I would use that stuff in a lawn mower or, heven forbid, a chain saw or string trimmer. Even the fuel/oil mix gets dumped in the car. It doesn't even hickup but the trimmer definately notices the fresh fuel after a mere 6 months.. )</font>

Fractal, I wouldn't dream of putting year old (stabilized) fuel in my $30K daily driver, but have no issue putting it in my $100 push mower.

/ gsxr1100, mike i have an oil question #9  
No offence guys, I dont even see the point here..

Your talking about what $20 max per year maintenance? That has to be much cheaper than taking the risk of leaving the contaminated oil in the motor /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif. My simple reasoning would be because of the acids and condensation in the oil from the little run time it was exposed to.

GSXR1100, your info is very interesting, obviously you have a much better grasp on the chemical end than I do. Please define your acronyms for me if you get a moment.

As far as running the old fuel mix in your car...?.. As was mentioned, you do have O2 sensors on everything since ?? '82 ?? they can become contaminated by many things, oil being one of them. You may be ok, though why risk at least one $50 sensor?

Just my opinion...

/ gsxr1100, mike i have an oil question #10  
I guess what I'am asking Mike , is wouldn't synthetic oil be better for these small engines than plain ol dino oil ? Not saying leaving syn. oil in it forever, but for maby a year. I only run my generator durning power outages ( mabe 2-3 x a year) . I change out the dino oil every spring.Is it better to keep the 30 hd dino oil ? I just don't see how the 30 wt. hd. can be better .As far is the high temps of the air cooled engine syn. would be better. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif