Diesel Fuel/Galvanized Funnel

/ Diesel Fuel/Galvanized Funnel #1  

RWEST

Gold Member
Tractor
ALL J-D's: 955, X595, 6x4 Diesel Gator, CX Compact Gator, 310D Loader/Backhoe (4x4, turbo, extend-a-hoe)
Diesel and galvanized containers don't mix, right? (the diesel causes the galvanizing to come off and turn to sludge or something, I read somewhere), but, how about using a galvanized funnel for fueling? To re-fuel my Gator I need a few extra hands, which I don't have /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif. I found a galvanized funnel with an offset spout which would be perfect, but, it's galvanized. For all the longer the fuel will be in the funnel, it shouldn't be a problem, right?

/ Diesel Fuel/Galvanized Funnel #2  
never heard of this. not saying its not true but if you are concerned over this issue why not get a plastic funnel with a flexible spout /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Diesel Fuel/Galvanized Funnel
Hi eric. The filler is kinda' back under the seat, and the flex spout on the plastic funnel will be flexing while I'm attempting to pour fuel from the 5 gal can into it. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif The solid spout on the galvanized funnel won't (I hope).
What I REALLY need to do is set up a proper re-fueling rig with hose, nozzle, etc... I have four pieces of diesel powered equipment, and I have to pump from a 55 gal barrel into a 5 gal can, then pour from that into the various machines. Gonna' have to take the time and just DO it, I guess. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Diesel Fuel/Galvanized Funnel #4  
how about making a spout out of pvc piping. it's cheep and you could design it any way you like /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Diesel Fuel/Galvanized Funnel #5  
I would look at an alternative to the galvanized funnel as diesel fuel ( or contents therein) will disolve the zinc coating that makes up the galvanized compound and eventually cause havok with you fuel system on the tractor.

Also on a side not: since you are using a transfer tank, make sure that the fuel is filtered as it comes out of the 55 gallon drum. You'll be happier in the long run.

/ Diesel Fuel/Galvanized Funnel #6  
I'll second the filter recommendation. The drum will allow for condensation and algae to form, can also cause rust in a metal drum in the long run.

The PVC sounds like a decent idea too..

/ Diesel Fuel/Galvanized Funnel
Thanks, guys.

I thought about it over the weekend, and, a proper fuel storage/tranfer system is in the works. Just have to buckle down and do it.

Does anyone know of a machine that will create more time (or even slow down the passage of what we have now)? Too many projects to do while the weather's co-operating; it's hard to go inside and work while the sun's shining!! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Diesel Fuel/Galvanized Funnel #8  
I have friends that have used galvanized funnels to fuel their diesel tractors for years. the types with the screen in them specifically for diesel water sep, etc... Made for fueling diesel equipment.

Ben

/ Diesel Fuel/Galvanized Funnel #9  
or Overtons.com has a auto-start siphon hose that is 6' long. All you do is put it in the can and quickly jerk it up and down. Automatically starts the siphon. It will empty a 5 gallon can in a couple of minutes. Every bit as fast as I can pour it, only I don't have to hold the can or deal with the leaks around the nozzel.
If you can't find it online at overtons PM me and I'll send you the item number (I have the real catalog). Overtons online presence leaves much to be desired.

/ Diesel Fuel/Galvanized Funnel #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( or Overtons.com has a auto-start siphon hose that is 6' long. All you do is put it in the can and quickly jerk it up and down. Automatically starts the siphon. It will empty a 5 gallon can in a couple of minutes. Every bit as fast as I can pour it, only I don't have to hold the can or deal with the leaks around the nozzel.
If you can't find it online at overtons PM me and I'll send you the item number (I have the real catalog). Overtons online presence leaves much to be desired.
)</font>

Some time ago, I got one of these siphon hoses at a local hardware store, the siphon hose has a glass ball in a brass housing on one end. After a while, the ball seat seems to wear down, maybe it just gets dirty, but it will start leaking back. It worked great for a while, then became problematic.