Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    Ford 1920/MF 1130/ Ford 8N/New MF 491!

Default Diesel storage ?

Could one use a polyethelene tank designed for "chemicals" for fuel storage? They are cheaper than metal tanks.

JJT
    Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3710 HST and a Kubota ZD21 60Pro

Default Re: Diesel storage ?

How much do you really need to store? I've had my L3710 for 6+ years and the ZD21 for 2 and I get by with 2 5 gallon jugs. I average about 120 hours a year between the 2 machines and that's well under 10 gallons a month. I know the fuel is always fresh and conditioned in the winter. If I was running a farm and burning 100's of gallons a month I'd have a storage tank.

HGM
    Veteran Member
    Tractor
    YM2000

I agree, unless you need large quantities, try to avoid storing it. The fresher the fuel the better.

Steel tanks are a bad idea due to the condensation and rust concerns. If you need alot of fuel on hand you'd be better off with the plastic tank. Storage is the #1 reson behind diesel drivability issues.

Tractor
    Kubota B2910, Simplicity 18 CFC, Cub Cadet 782

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Could one use a polyethelene tank designed for "chemicals" for fuel storage? They are cheaper than metal tanks. )</font>

I'm currently using a 275 gallon "storage tote" which I picked up for $50 from my fuel supplier. It was originally used to store/ship bulk hydraulic fluid. So the answer is yes, you can.

Tractor
    Ford 1920/MF 1130/ Ford 8N/New MF 491!

Thanks for the replies! I use about a hundred to hundred twenty five gallons a year and want to buy in 100 gal lots to save a little $.

HGM
    Veteran Member
    Tractor
    YM2000

I would recomend against having a years supply. It will begin to separate and grow contaminates unless you have a controled environment for it to stay and an agitator to keep it from settling.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    L3130

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Thanks for the replies! I use about a hundred to hundred twenty five gallons a year and want to buy in 100 gal lots to save a little $. )</font>

Thats what I've been doing going on 3 years now. The guy I work with has been doing the same thing for at least 15+ years. No problems using a 300 gal steel tank stored outdoors. We both add PowerService to the mix. He changes the filter every year, I haven't change mine. Any crud/water will settle in the bottom of the filter bowl or get trapped in the filter.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3000DT

There are many reasons why storing fuel is not a good idea, not the least of which is that you make an inviting target for a thief, fuel prices being what they are.

Tractor
    JD4310

How much is "save a little $"?

You have to consider the cost of the storage equipment and the risk of storage and this may offset the savings.

I use my tractor about 300 hours a year, which amounts to around 300 gallons. I always have the tractor full (15 gallons) and have two 5 gallon containers. This works fine for me.

Richard

Tractor
    Kubota B2910, Simplicity 18 CFC, Cub Cadet 782

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( How much is "save a little $"?

You have to consider the cost of the storage equipment and the risk of storage and this may offset the savings. )</font>

True - most likely the added will have to be amortized over a number of years to see any real savings - however there's also the convience factor to consider, which may not be a small thing. For me, not having to run out for fuel is a big attraction - I've been very busy with projects this summer and have put around 250 hours on my tractor so far this year - that's about 32 trips to the station with a 5 gallon can - or 16 if I use two. It's real nice to be able just to pull up to the garage and fuel up.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast