liver Cancer

/ liver Cancer #1  

daedong

Veteran Member
On the weekend I was travelling through an area that I left some 5 years ago. On the way through I decided I should stop and say g’day to an old friend that owns a service station. After chatting a while he told me he had just got out of hospital and that he had been in there for about 5 weeks and that he had been diagnosed with liver cancer. Things didn’t sound that great. After leaving him I got to thinking about the fact that he had been in the petrol industry for probably 25 years and whether his illness maybe related to benzene. Does any one have any thoughts on this?

/ liver Cancer #2  
I believe the majority of liver cancer cases in the United States these days is caused by Hepatitis C virus (HCV), however the liver is where all toxins in the blood are degraded for excretion from the body, so it gets a high dose of whatever you've been exposed to.

/ liver Cancer #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( After leaving him I got to thinking about the fact that he had been in the petrol industry for probably 25 years and whether his illness maybe related to benzene. Does any one have any thoughts on this? )</font>

Hey, we're just a bunch of tractor jockeys here, but a little looking around the internet confirmed SkyPup's info about Hepatitis C being a possible cause. Is your friend an enthusiastic and long term drinker? You probably know that that can lead to cirrhosis of the liver, which can apparently lead to liver cancer. Benzene? You can have your suspicions, but probably never be able to tell for sure.

Not a doctor, or even close.
Tom

/ liver Cancer
He did drink but not a big drinker by anyones measure.
He was a diesel mechanic by trade. He loved his cars and was a very competative racer, lived every spare minute in the shed building his engines. l