/ WHO ALL USES MR. FUNNEL #1  

LBrown59

Super Star Member
First organized permanent settlement in the northw
Tractor
2003 Kubota BX1500/2004 Kubota Bx23/2005 Kubota BX1500
What do you Like / Dislike about it?

I found these problems with using it.
1-You can't see or tell when you are getting the tank full making it to easy to run it over - The funnel should be clear rather than black or yellow.
2-The fuel left in the funnel after you've filled the tank. What do you do with it?
I found that taking the spout off and pouring it back into the can to be to much of a hassle and just pouting it out onto the ground is not a good option
3-You can't pour into out of the new non spill fuel cans.

/ WHO ALL USES MR. FUNNEL #2  
I stop periodically and remove it to visually observe how full the tank is.
As for that remaining fuel in the funnel, I swish it around and that gets all but about 2 tbsp of it. I usually knock the rest of it into a paper towel and dispose, since it won't evaporate and often contains small amounts of debris.

/ WHO ALL USES MR. FUNNEL #3  
1. Agree, I end up tilting the funnel to one side and watch what is going on. A push-button flow valve would be nice to prevent and mistakes.

2. I don't understand why the 'shoulder' of the screen is not flush with the bottom of the funnel. I end up pouring the remaining amount back into the diesel can. Will try "swishing" next time.

3. I don't own a non-spill can but I can see that being an issue.

I have been very happy with the funnel and would recommend it to any other diesel engine owner.

/ WHO ALL USES MR. FUNNEL #4  
Just wait until you can put 5 gallons in safely and go! I ain't spilling fuel anymore! I put 5 gallons in at 1/4 tank and that gets me 3 inches from full................! Don't be tempted to fill it completely!

/ WHO ALL USES MR. FUNNEL #5  
I stink of diesel every time I use it. Agree with all your comments. The Fill for my Kubota L3130 HST is on the corner of the hood, so Mr' Funnel would want to tip over and spill - used a short piece of galvanized pipe and fernco fitting so it would sit solid. Filling the tank last week while BS ing with my brother-in-law - removed Mr. Funnel, forgot about the diesel left and spilled it on his shoes and trousers /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif He didn't think it was too funny. Pic attached.
penokee /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Attachments

• 750116-funnel.jpg
    750116-funnel.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 233
   / WHO ALL USES MR. FUNNEL #6  
My method for fueling is to cover the tip of the spout of my 5 gallon can with my finger until it's in the neck of the fill tube, then let go.

Curt

/ WHO ALL USES MR. FUNNEL #7  
I have a 10 gallon tank, filling it when the needle hits 1/2 takes a full 5 gallons. It only took 1 overflow to get this down....

I dump the contents of the funnel into a separate jug and use that for part cleaner/degreaser or starting brush fires. If I have a full jug when I make a used oil run to the recycler it gets recycled.

I don't use a no spill jug, in fact I take the spout off and simply pour the 5 gallon jub into the filter. Even with the big tractor this is no problem, standing on the ground. I rarely spill a drop, if I do it's on the old tee shirt that Mr Funnel lives in while he's sitting on the shelf waiting for the next fillup.

/ WHO ALL USES MR. FUNNEL #8  
I'm a user and I think it does serve it's intended purpose...filters water and crud out. I actually tried a test once and added a small amount of water to some fuel. Shook it up and then ran it thru the Mr Funnel. It kept the water in the funnel. Also, on a couple occasions I noticed a small piece of bacteria?? or two in the funnel after I finished fueling. My last machine had an inj pump problem that I attribute to fuel quality issues. I had used a 12v transfer pump and a 55 gal plastic drum and just fueled up with the nozzle. With my new rig, every drop has gone thru the Mr Funnel.

However, I agree with your dislikes. To deal with those issues, here's what I've found to work for me...

Like the others have said, I tilt the funnel to keep an eye on the tank level. Also keep an eye on the tractors fuel gauge and after a while of useage, you can figure out how much fuel is needed from 1/2 tank or whatever.

The fuel that is left over in the funnel I just pour back into my jug. But...my jug is just a 1 gal plastic container(windshield washer jug). I found that it is alot easier to use a 1 gal jug when using the Mr Funnel. Never mind the hassle of using the transfer pump/55 gal drum or 5 gal no spill jug AND the Mr Funnel...either of those allow too much of a chance to spill or 'upchuck' fuel all over the place.

/ WHO ALL USES MR. FUNNEL #9  
I believe the reason for the 'shoulder' in the funnel is so that there is a place for the water and crud to collect, and it's below the filter screen. Since fuel floats, the water will settle in the bottom.

/ WHO ALL USES MR. FUNNEL #10  
I am getting ready to purchase one. All I can find locally are the black (carbon inpregnated electrically conductive) models. HomeDepot no longer distributes the yellow ones. The sump is there to retain the water and some of the heavier debris. If the screen(s)were flush the water would pass right through. The largest unit has two 200 mesh (74 micron) screens and the others have a single 100 mesh (140 micron). Whatever is left in the sump dump back in fuel can if no water is present, if water and a little fuel is present, get rid of per /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gifEPA regs /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. As far as spilling and overfilling, I have that problem with any funnel if not careful.

EDIT: Racor (Parker Hannifin) also sell these funnels with the Racor label.