Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: GAS DOWN - DIESEL UP

</font><font color="blue" class="small">(
    I seriously doubt that Mr. Raymond ever invested as much as one cent of his money in company stock. All those shares and options he owned, I am sure, were given to him. ) )</font>

And that means what? Welcome to corporate America. I see it everyday on inside trading at the company I work for. It is nothing new nor does it affect me. I only care about my stock price. I care more about this then Mobil.

It is as bad as my co-worker the whine big time that our CEO got a 30 million dollar bonus last year. Again, wasting your time here since no on cares about it or you. If you are so mad, quit or call him. These two things never will happen since they are constant whiners.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Case 2090 Massey Ferguson 4233 John Deere 4700

I don't think it is fair to say farmers pass it on to consumers. Input costs go up for farmers but grain markets don't seem to go anywhere. Processors may pass their cost on but what they pay farmers remains the same.

I do not think a lot of things in life are fair but I call them as I see them. If they are not passing the buck, that is great. But it is coming on their backs and well, they need to do something quick. Or they will be left behind since they're not.

Also why are they not increasing the price? They are only hurting themselves here, not the customer.

Tractor
    New Holland TC40D

I went crazy on you, CRAZY [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I think the only thing we agree on is that we like motorcyles, albeit we like totally different motorcycles [img]/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

As a diesel pickup truck person, I aint liking it, but I do not think I am taking a total thrashing, although I complain like crazy because the prices are obnoxious.

My expierience shows a COMPARABLE gasser gets significantly less fuel mileage than a diesel. Here is a comparison, based on prices locally, gas at $2.85 for regular, and diesel/premium at $3.05

My old '89 F250 was a long bed xcab with 351-v8, manual tranny, 4.11 gears, and 4x4. My diesel is a 01 Ram2500 longbed xcab auto 4x4 with 4:11's. In the F250 I got about 12mpg on the highway, unloaded with a tail wind; the diesel gets 18mpg. With a comparable load, like an 11' cabover camper or the tractor on a trailer with some road base in the truck bed, the F250 got 8mpg, while the diesel gets 12.

So, when I go duck hunting down in the valley, where I get best fuel mileage at 18mpg, my diesel cost me $17.08 for the 100 mile round trip. My old F250 would cost me $23.65 on that same trip. So, diesel still wins.

When I haul my tractor, with 1.5 yards of road base in the bed, and the tractor on the trailer behind, I get about 12mpg. So my 100 mile trip runs $25.41 in my diesel vs $35.63 in my old gas pickup.

This comparison is still a small block v8 vs a newer diesel. From what I have seen friends expierience, a big-block, like a 460 Ford or the Triton V10, would get even less than my 351 got.

Interestingly, last spring I made a run down to the valley, to one of the Fed refuges where I duck hunt now and then. I took my tractor to help them out; it was a public work/conservation day. I ran 15mpg running the truck empty, while towing the tractor/trailer.

I would also offer that my RAM, with 3.55 gears, would get better mileage, as well a stick would help. Friends with 3.55's and manual tranny's get 20mpg+ on the highway.

I had 3.55's in my old truck, and switched to 4.11's. I did take a small hit in mileage for the 4.11's. I fear the mileage I would have got if that truck had an automatic in it... It was really a good truck, but mileage wise...

These prices are current for what I have seen locally; prices you and others describe in the north-east definitely vary from what we see out here. We have seen falling prices, but the differential in gas vs diesel has been diesel running at premium prices for the most part.

So yes, we are taking a beating, but it is not as bad as you thought in a closer apples to apples comparison.

It still does not explain this disparity of price between gas and diesel. So far, noone has been able to explain that one with facts.

As far as taking a beating though, I think it is you. I think you should sell your bike. My Harley gets 50+mpg, while your GSXR gets only low 40's [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

So the extra cost of the diesel, extra fluids etc all to save $5 on a 100 mile trip…hmmm
    Plus the delta from gas to diesel is more like over 60 cents here but who is counting.

That is great on the diesel on 100 miles it would cost me about $9.xxin my car.

Sure my GSXR only gets a little over 40 mpg, but I am doing faster then your Harley can and will ever go here too. BONG!

Now if I drive like a Harley I can get over 50 easy but why. the clock is ticking and I have a life to life. Not going at a walker pace..... [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3000DT

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I do not think a lot of things in life are fair but I call them as I see them. If they are not passing the buck, that is great. But it is coming on their backs and well, they need to do something quick. Or they will be left behind since they're not.

Also why are they not increasing the price? They are only hurting themselves here, not the customer.
    )</font>

I'm assuming you're talking about farmers? If so, you apparently haven't got the faintest idea of how farm commodities' prices are set.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I'm assuming you're talking about farmers? If so, you apparently haven't got the faintest idea of how farm commodities' prices are set. ) )</font>

I am saying in gereral there are lots of things in life that not fair. That is life and get over it and move on.

Also I do not know how commodities are set and do not care one bit either. If some farmer is taking a beating on fuel price and he is not raising his prices to offset it, that is his problem not mine. You better do something or you will be left in the cold.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3000DT

Good one!!

I didn't realize it was a joke until I read the part about farmers increasing their prices.

LOL!!!!

Tractor
    New Holland TC40D

Prices vary by region. Even here, if we go the 90 miles to the San Francisco area, thier prices are higher(gas and diesel). Funny about that, because that's where the refineries are!

My example is only for a single 100 mile trip, one which I have taken a number of times. It is only $5, but that adds up after 10,000 or 100,000 miles. Yes, I use more oil(12 qts), but I get a lot more mileage between changes than my gas engines.

I agree, it might cost $9 in your car. It would cost about that too in my old car. But, that is like comparing apples to peaches; they are the same family, but different genus(both are roseaceae).

We'll see your bail announced in the papers when </font><font color="blue" class="small">( I am doing faster then your Harley can and will ever go here too)</font> and the men in uniform light up that bubble gum machine they carry on the top of thier cars [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    3 Yanmars

The new Honda ridgeline psuedo pickup truck is listed as best in class for fuel economy getting a wonderful 21 MPG.

Gee, my 7 yr old cummins in a ram 2500 gets 21-23 MPG.

Can the two vehicles do the same thing, certainly not. Can they pretend to do similar things, sure.

Diesel vehicles by nature are more fuel efficient.

OK, i'm not arguing with anyone here, just putting in my .2 cents. -Art

p.s. I drive such reasonable amounts that the cost of diesel just doesn't mean that much to me. I spend less than $70 a month for fuel. lucky me.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast