100 hours on oil

/ 100 hours on oil #1  

JimMorrissey

Veteran Member
Tractor
'05/'06 L39 TLB
As some may remember from my post about Delo oil not so long ago, I just changed the oil (seems like yesterday) and 100 hours has come and gone in about three weeks or less. I'm running Rotella synthetic now (thanks for the advice). Must I change this oil yet again? What about the filter? I'm guessing time has little or nothing to do with it.
What about the fact that it's sythetic, don't I get a break from the 200 hour service?

/ 100 hours on oil #2  
an oil analysis will tell you how long you can run your syn.

/ 100 hours on oil #4  
Not knowing how many hours are on your machine total, I would think you are safe to 150 hours easily. I have contacted Specialty Oils, who supply the Ambra Gold brand oil for the NH dealers, and I'm not very impressed with their numbers. I also have gotten both some Rotella Syn. 5-40, and Mobil 1 5-40. I change oil to ensure my engine is well cared for, and I don't try and stretch it out as far as I can. If you are looking to do that, then an oil analysis is in order. If the engine is in excellent shape, and there is no missing coolant, I would think you could go 200 hours easy, especially if the engine is being used almost constantly. Like a car, highway miles are easy, and short trips are harder on oils. It's the start up where most of the wear occurs. Syn. tend to cling to internal motor parts better. Hope this helps. If you are spending long hours in the seat, this would be better for the oil's longevity...... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gifIH3444

/ 100 hours on oil
Where does one have their oil analyzed? If that means shipping it out to some distant location, I'd rather just change it.

We'll see what others jump in with here. Since it's a new engine with 208 hours on it, maybe I'd better follow manual as Rat advised regardless of synthetic or not.

I thought part of the point of synthetics was longer change intervals.

/ 100 hours on oil #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Where does one have their oil analyzed? If that means shipping it out to some distant location, I'd rather just change it.

We'll see what others jump in with here. Since it's a new engine with 208 hours on it, maybe I'd better follow manual as Rat advised regardless of synthetic or not.

I thought part of the point of synthetics was longer change intervals. )</font>

You'll NEVER go wrong in using a "better" oil and STILL changing per the manual. I just priced the 5qt "gallon" of the full syn Rotella yesterday at Wally World and for $21 for 5 qts....I wont take even a SLIM chance of engine harm.

/ 100 hours on oil #7  
Jim,

I have my oil tested at Blackstone Labs. They had a good reputation on one of the truck websites and I just bumped into a review of test companies and Blackstone was at the top.

Yes you do have to send a sample. I just happend to get my report I sent last week by email this morning. They will send you the sample kits. If you need to sample before you get a kit save about 1/3 a cup of the used oil in a clean container. Its $1.52 to send in the sample. I can't remember exactly what the test costs, $20-30 but TBN test is extra. I'm checking my TBN for my truck since I just ran to 7,989 miles before the change. TBN was 10 which is good. They said try 9,000 miles on the oil before I change again. I'm supposed to change at 5,000 miles.

I am NOT trying to run extended drains on my oil. I'm using the Shell synthetic 5Wx40 in the truck since I KNOW I have been too busy to change the oil on time so I used this oil as a buffer. The truck also starts easier in the cold and I get a tad bit better milage. So for me it works.

I'm going to put it in the tractor which I have to change soon. I'm not planning on extending the oil drain time but I figure for what the tractor does for me giving it $13 worth of oil vs $6 is a fair trade. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Later,
Dan

/ 100 hours on oil #8  
Change per the manual and the better oil will only be a bonus. I change my trucks oil per the owner's manual at 3000 miles... with mobile 1 synthetic.

The manual, follow the manual.

/ 100 hours on oil #9  
I have said this before I believe that oil and filters are just good insurance and a lot cheaper then engines. I would change them both when the owners manual recommends it.

/ 100 hours on oil
I'll be changing the oil and filter this weekend. Hopefully the next change should take me through the winter. I still think 100 hours with no dust is excessive with synthetic, but I guess I should have an oil test done to know. What exactly is this "oil test" going to tell me that matters?

It's not the money, it's the mess, time and then the disposal. Such is life with machines.