Lubricity of diesel

/ Lubricity of diesel #21  
I've read elsewhere that it is more of a problem for rotary injection pumps, than for piston pumps. I was sure to ckeck the NH TC48DA before purchase to see that it did have a piston pump. Mercedes Benzs also have piston pumps, but my older International diesel tractor has a rotary, and I don't see any problem so far........ /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Lubricity of diesel #22  
All I can say is, if you guys know so much more than Herb, when he is an engineer for the State of Mississippi, and he is so wrong. I think you should contact him and tell him, as it is in all the newspapers down here. And the people have a right to know the truth, that he don't know what he is talking about. And while you are at it, you really should also contact the university and have him fired, so they can get someone, that knows more about what they say. I sure don't know how he got the job, when he is so dumb. Maybe one of you guys could get his job, I would think it would pay high money.

/ Lubricity of diesel #23  
/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Lubricity of diesel #24  
Excellent idea!!!!! I've give it some thought! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Lubricity of diesel #25  
HGM:

Yes I know that. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I've had the pleasure of filling the pot containing mercaptan. It's something everyone should do once in their life. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Egon /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Lubricity of diesel #26  
cowboydoc I remember sometime in the 80's (that's broad but) I'll say 87 or so that folks in my area all of a sudden had problems with injector pumps. Fords were the biggest failures but some IH had them too. All of these pumps went out for lack of lube. Most of these tractors were from the 60's and 70's. That's the first and only wide spread fuel problem I remember in this area. This fuel was being sold under Exxon and might have still been called ESSO back then. The other was Texaco. After about 6 months of pump rebuilding the word got out that Southern States was the only supplier in our area that sold certified farm diesel fuel. Even today our local JD dealer will tell you right up front to purchase your fuel for your new JD tractor from Southern States. If there's any problem with the fuel system or engine the first thing they do is pull a fuel sample. If it doesn't have Southern States certified AG fuel in it, you're on your own for the cost of the break down.

In the back of my old tired mind I think I remember New Zealand or Australia or both having some pretty big problems when they made their change. That's been a while since I read that but it took some time to smooth out the problems. I feel sure by now a lot has been learned to prevent fuel problems but I for one won't take any chances. The injectors need the lube to stay clean too. So I'll keep adding the Lucas. It's cheap insurance and keeps my exhaust pipes clean too /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Lubricity of diesel #27  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I'll say 87 or so that folks in my area all of a sudden had problems with injector pumps. )</font> That's about six years before the sulfur reduction program began.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If it doesn't have Southern States certified AG fuel in it, you're on your own for the cost of the break down. )</font> There is no way they could enforce that unless you signed something when purchasing the tractor stating that you would agree to use that fuel exclusively. Besides, how could they tell what brand of fuel you had in it? I know of no test that can identify a particlular brand of fuel.

/ Lubricity of diesel #28  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Besides, how could they tell what brand of fuel you had in it? I know of no test that can identify a particlular brand of fuel. )</font>

Not that it adds anything to the conversation.. but.. I'm pretty sure there -ARE- tests that could be done to see the origin of a fuel.. or just about any substance for that matter. Considering they can look at a uranium sample and tellyou where it was mined.. or look at die lots and tell you manufacturer.. etc.

Still.. that's be alot of work.. and easy to defeat.. what would keep a user from keeping a couple gallons of approved fuel on hand, and draining and filling the tank, before sending in for service.. if he suspected a fuel related failure??

Soundguy

/ Lubricity of diesel #29  
Soundguy and Charolais you're right they do pull samples and analyze them. Not only JD but every other mfg. of tractors and trucks. It's common practice. If you've got bad fuel Charolais is 100% right on that you will be paying for the cost of the repair. No they can't say who to buy fuel from but you dang sure better have the right fuel in there or it's no go for the warranty.

/ Lubricity of diesel #30  
I have had very good results using Marvel Mystery oil in my diesel fuel for extra lubricity. It blows a little bit of white smoke once in a while on a real cold morning, but it just seems to be enough for fuel lube. I use 4 oz. per 35 gallons, each time I fill it. BTW its an Int. 7.3 in a F250, 150,000 miles. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif