Containers for draining...

/ Containers for draining... #1  

BobReeves

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 3000
Draining the oil in a car is fairly easy using one of the shallow drain pans available almost anywhere.

However what on earth does one use when you have gallons of hydraulic oil to drain? I can see a big mess in the making, what's the trick?

/ Containers for draining... #2  
My Nh 7610s and ford 5000 both are situations like you speak of... common sump rear end/hyds/transmission.

That's between 45-60 quarts of oil /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

What I do is drag a 30g keg or 55 gallon drum home from work and also use a couple 5 gallon pails. Put the pail under the drain, and start draining.. I have the plug in hand.. or a cork (rubber cork.. etc ) and when the pail fills to 85% I cork it, and slide it out and the new pan under.. then procede to dumping the oil thru a funnel into the drum / keg.. then repeat the process. In fact.. I'll be doing that tonight after work /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Soundguy

/ Containers for draining... #3  
I have a couple of the bigger drain pans and do the same thing as Soundguy. The Bota holds ~10 gallons and have 30gal and 55gal poly barrels to hold stuff.

/ Containers for draining... #4  
I used a big stainless steel flowerpot that was just short enough to slip under. (Wife even knew about it) Remember that it isn't just finding a container big enough to hold the oil and also fit under the tractor, you also must be able to move the container and/or transfer the lube to smaller containers. I found it difficult to replace the plug once the sump drain is removed.

/ Containers for draining... #5  
I found a low spot to park over and used five gallon buckets, putting the plug back in to change containers. Was just at TSC and they have large pans for animal watering that may work better, cheap too!

ksmmoto

/ Containers for draining... #6  
Get a 33 gal container with top at local wally world...

My tractor has 17 gal in the transmission & it empties quick!

/ Containers for draining... #7  
I have a 55 gallon drum cut down to 8" high. Has 4 castors so it sits 1" off the floor & rolls easily under a vehicle. A drain pipe welded into one side at the bottom edge hooked to a drill pump and 10' garden hose. I put my battery drill on the pump, the hose into another collection barrel, start draining & pump as it drains into the bigger barrel. If the drain pan will hold the entire amount I pump it out later. Just have to allow the oil to cool to the touch before draining so it doesn't melt the pump.