Fluid Film - problems?

/ Fluid Film - problems? #1  

Jay4200

Veteran Member
Tractor
L4200GST w/ LA680 & BX2200D w/ LA211
Everyone that uses Fluid Film seems to rave about it. A friend gave me a can a few years ago - I actually never saw the stuff for sale until I went into the local tractor dealer - evidently a popular item among tractor folks.

I'm leery of it because I used it to lube a gov't model 45 pistol once. It had a plastic/rubber slide buffer, which disentegrated after the Fluid Film treatment. It made quite the mess inside the gun.

It seems the perfect stuff (at least in theory) to hose down exposed hydraulic cylinder shafts for extended storage - any stories of bad things happening to the adjacent rubber oil/dust seals?

Thanks - Jay

/ Fluid Film - problems? #2  
Jay4200,

My dealer sent me a can for free after I had to buy new hydraulic disconnects to replace the ones that had rusted togather. It took 4 years for them to rust togather. I have been using the connector more and I spray them with Fluid Film every time I use them and periodically. Hope it helps. Those connectors are NOT cheap.

Later,
Dan

/ Fluid Film - problems? #3  
No issues I recall reading about with the rubber in the cylinder seals but you make a point. Mix the wrong chemical and the wrong rubber or plastic and the chemical could attack the other material. I'd be more inclined to think it would be the solvents that are used to transport the oils that would be the issue. Obviously the oil in the Fluid Film would not be an issue. I know the Fluid Film has something unusual in it as it foams on contact. I've used it and like it.