Castrol High Mileage

/ Castrol High Mileage #1  

deerefan

Veteran Member
Tractor
1952 8N, 2005 JD 5103
Quick question...and i don't want to get in an oil war here, so please just give me a straight answer. I recently switched to castrol high mileage for my 97 ford and will be making the switch in my 2002 ford this weekend. What makes high mileage different from regular Castrol? And please, if you do not like Castrol, thats fine, leave it out of this thread please. If you use another oil that offers the same type of thing, please do reply. It makes me wonder that if the high mileage protects better, why not run it from day one? Thanks guys!

/ Castrol High Mileage #2  
deerefan,
For what its worth I switched to a hi-milage oil (in my case Valvolene brand) a few years ago and have been very happy I did. I have a '71 Mustang show car with ~125k miles, matching numbers car and the engine has never been opened. (see attached photo of the car and Mrs Syncro in San Francisco) I found that this type of oil is a little heavier and thins a little less as it heats up, a hi milage motor has more clearence and this is good. It also has additives to help re-vitalize seals a little, the valve seals on my 35 year old car are a little stiff and after switching I found a little less oil leakage. For an old motor its great stuff, but no way would I use it in a new tight engine. My Dodge Ram calls for 5w-30 and any hi-milage oil would be just too heavy.

Attachments

• 781452-Cam Bridge-1.JPG
    781452-Cam Bridge-1.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 351
   / Castrol High Mileage
Nice Stang, my brother had a 66 six cylinder w/ pony interior, My dad is the original owner of a 1970 Corvette, red on black 350hp 350 w/ 4spd and air and I am currently restoring a 1970 Chevelle (taking a loooong time!). Thanks for the feedback. I kinda figured it had something to do w/ thickness, but just wanted to get some input on it. It seems to be working fine in my 97 F150 w/ 115k miles.

/ Castrol High Mileage #4  
From what I have gathered it seems that the major benefit is a seal conditioner to help prevent leaks and such.

/ Castrol High Mileage #5  
iv'e always been skeptical of this type advertising. what about QS 4x4 oil. what would be different in it. they even have high milage freon now. advertising hype more than anything else. IMHO......... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Castrol High Mileage #6  
Exactly, next we'll hear that the QS 4X4 works twice as good in a two wheel drive ride.... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Castrol High Mileage #7  
<font color="blue">Exactly, next we'll hear that the QS 4X4 works twice as good in a two wheel drive ride.... </font>

I believe it simply adds better traction to vital engine parts. Wait, that would be a bad thing. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Castrol High Mileage #8  
if i put my 4x4 in 2wd do i haveta change oil? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Castrol High Mileage #10  
I think Syncro hit it on the head.

Just make sure you use the proper viscosity. The Ford modular engines dont like a thick oil. It will cause excessive wear, lack of lube and timing chain noises(wear too). Back when they came out, there were some, of the old school, that just had to have their 20w50 in their cars. They fairly quickly blew the oil filters off. Literally.../forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif