3pt ball joints, to grease or not to grease?

/ 3pt ball joints, to grease or not to grease? #1  

AB4D

Silver Member
Tractor
Prior: Kubota BX-23, Kubota L3430HSTC, Kubota ZG23, L3560 HSTC Limited Edition, Current: L6060 HSTC
I am sure this question has been discussed and answered on TBN, but my search did not find any results. Are the ball joints on the three point hitch (end links) supposed to be lubricated, and if so what type of lubricant?

Jim

/ 3pt ball joints, to grease or not to grease? #2  
Super lube: silicone. It doesn't seem to collect dirt like a regular grease or oil does.

Ralph

/ 3pt ball joints, to grease or not to grease? #3  
As ralph mentioned.. Oil and grease on the balljoints tends to collect cruft... I've hit mine with graphite before. .... but generally don't lube them for regular use.

i fthe tractor will set idle for weeks / months.. i will wipe them with some axle grease.. then wipe it off before use..
( same with exposed hyd cylinder pistons.. )

Soundguy

/ 3pt ball joints, to grease or not to grease? #4  
I usually squirt a couple of squirts of 90W oil on them every couple of months, primarily to keep them from corroding.

/ 3pt ball joints, to grease or not to grease? #5  
I use a few drops of chain saw bar oil, wipe off excess. It adheres to the metal well and keeps the rust away. May also be good for slicking down hair but I have not tried that.

/ 3pt ball joints, to grease or not to grease? #6  
I spray everything that moves, and most that doesn't, with WD40. I buy it in the gallon cans and fill my squirt bottle. I know a lot of people don't like it because they say it's too thin and gets rinsed off too quickly. I just spray more on.

/ 3pt ball joints, to grease or not to grease? #7  
What Jim said. . . . I spritz just about everything that moves but doesn't get greased with WD-40. But think I'll try a shot of silicone just to see. . . .

Mark

/ 3pt ball joints, to grease or not to grease? #8  
Graphite spray once a year, weather it needs it or not /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Cheers!

/ 3pt ball joints, to grease or not to grease? #9  
I am of the same mind. Lub is cheap compared to repairs. Pretty new to tractors, are the ball joints replaceable?

Thanks, Alan

/ 3pt ball joints, to grease or not to grease? #10  
Yep.. ball joints are replaceable.. and think about this.. lube plus grit = grinding compound.. That's why I'm carefull to lube items that don't have seals, in high dirt areas. 3pt balljoints are on that grey line.

Soundguy