transfer pump hose? Fuel place says garden hose?

/ transfer pump hose? Fuel place says garden hose? #1  

JCS_in_KY

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1533
Yesterday we bought a new MF1533 so we are going to need more diesel at home then we can move with 5 gallon cans like we've been doing for our grasshopper mower. The local bulk oil place will give us a tank for free but we'd have to use 900 gallons a year and we won't use near that much. They will give me a 55 gallon drum that I can take out to get filled. They sell a transfer pump that they say is compatible with diesel and for hose they say it's designed to use a garden hose that you cut off at the length you need. Is a garden hose compatible with diesel? They say that it is but I wouldn't think that it would be. John

/ transfer pump hose? Fuel place says garden hose? #2  
well garden hose would work, im sure vacum cleaner hose, paper towel tubes, hollow trees etc would work too, but none very well, including garden hose! last place i worked we used garden hose to transfer hydraulic oil for changing oil in the pressbrakes and stuff like that, and had a piece on a barrel pump for filling the steam cleaner with diesel, in both applications the hose would get kinda funky and soften up or harden up depending on the particular hose, kinda odd. garden hose isnt realy oil resistant. it worked for a while, and garden hose was pretty cheap thats why we used it i suppose. but for a fuel transfer pump i would use either the proper oil resistant hose, looks kinda like air hose but bigger, usualy red in color, or hydraulic hose works well too. thats what i have on my diesel fuel barrel pump. like i said you can use garden hose, but it wont last too long, but it is cheap to replace so thats not so bad i suppose

/ transfer pump hose? Fuel place says garden hose? #3  
I agree with markct. You coul dget by with a drinking straw for a while.. but in the end.. only a fuel'rated' hose is what you should be using.. even if only for insurance purposes. imaging something bad happening.. and something burns down.. and the insurance adjuster sees garden (water) hose on your combustable fuel rig.. then says you have to rebuild your house out of your pocket cause you used 4.99$ worth of water hose.. instead 9.99$ worth of approved ul listed fuel hose??? it aint that expensive.. and you can buy it byt he foot.

The 55g drum is a good idea. my fuel supplier will even sell it by the drum.. so no hauling the old one in to be filled.. etc..

I use a chinese 9.99 rotary hand pump and a few feet of 'gates' for my fuel rig... sure beats using plastic cans..

Soundguy

/ transfer pump hose? Fuel place says garden hose?
I don't like the idea of using the garden hose either. 15 or so years ago I used a rotary pump with a 55 gallon drum to transfer fuel out of some aircraft tanks to drain them before removing the winds. If I remember correctly I used some heater hose for that and even that didn't hold up well. Tonight we went to Tractor Supply and bought a new rotary pump and 8' of some Goodyear hose rated for fuel. That should work for us, now all we have to do is wait until next week when the tractor arrives! John

/ transfer pump hose? Fuel place says garden hose? #5  
John, I agree with the other guys that a fuel rated hose would be first choice, but I, and a neighbor, used garden hoses because that's what we had on hand. In four years, I never saw any deterioration of my hose and it was still on the pump when I sold it.

/ transfer pump hose? Fuel place says garden hose? #6  
it does seem to depend on the garden hose bird, like i said the last place i worked we used it for all sortsa oil transfer, cause management was cheap, so ya make do with what you have. some hose would last for years and work fine, other hose would get hard or soft within a month or so. but overall i would just by fuel hose and take the guesswork outa it

/ transfer pump hose? Fuel place says garden hose? #7  
I've been using a garden hose on mine maybe a year & 1/2. So far so good but I'm sure a fuel rated hose would be best.