Fuel problems revisited

/ Fuel problems revisited #1  

Charolais

Platinum Member
Tractor
Deutz Fahr Agrofarm 100, Stoll loader, bucket, forks & root grapple
Thought I'd share this from another site I visit daily. Some of you in those frozen chosen areas may be able to head off some problems. I hope. Anyone having gelled fuel?

There's one post with a link that you may also want to read.

From what I got out of the thread it seems the fuel is different than in years past. I don't think this many people are that far off base.

As I posted in the fuel lube thread below, this is why I don't trust any fuel today. I add extra lube and will continue. Now that doesn't mean the fuel problems these folks are having has anything to do with lube. It just means adding lube is one way I can satisfy myself that I've done my part. With the price of machinery and repair work today that little extra cetane and or fuel lube may ward off some harsh problems. If you've ever had fuel problems that cause engine damage then you know that feeling all to well.

/ Fuel problems revisited #2  
That is an interesting thread. I try to stay away from B20. It's been my experience that when it's really cold out, lighting the fire with B20 in the tank is harder than No.2 or blended 2 and 1. Besides, B20 costs more around here than premium diesel and I don't need the Mc Dee's french fry smell....it makes me hungry and I weigh enough as is.

I am still using fuel from my farm tank from last year that's treated with a biocide from my supplier as well as a quart of powerservice and a dab of Lucas from me. No gelling problems in either farm tractor and I have been out blowing the roads open.

My new Western Star gelled up on the road last thursday. The crossover line gelled and the fuel in the pickup tank went dry. It was 5 degrees out and I froze my butt off with a hose and a gallon jug transferring fuel to the pickup tank...by the way I added powerservice 911 to both tanks and a little extra in the transferred fuel. The primer pump knob was frozen closed (I couldn't get it to turn out and I had no channellocks) so I either started the engine. Either is really hard on the new Cats...oh well, she's under warranty. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

When I got home that night my wife said "you stink". I replied that the smell was "hillbilly incense". Diesel fuel, lately has taken on a different smell altogether. I managed to geat a bath in it transferring it with the gallon jug and hose.