diesel fuel additive

/ diesel fuel additive #1  

Garrabo

Banned
Tractor
3120,X-575,BX1830,BX22
I picked up some deisel fuel additive at my Kubota dealer today, Its kinda like stabilizer but it lubricates and prevents gelling and all that but it only gives mix ratios for 240 gallons of fuel. I just dumped a couple caps full in my BX1830 tank.
can you over do it with this stuff /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif anyone know how to compute the correct mix. I think its put out by standardyne.
Thanks,

/ diesel fuel additive #2  
Stanadyne shows a ratio of 1:500. You should add about 1.3 ounces to 5 gallons. I always put my additive in to storage containers when I get the fuel. That way I'm always putting treated fuel in tractor.
Be sure to run your tractor after adding additive to fuel. That will make sure additive is in fuel all the way to injectors.

/ diesel fuel additive
thank you /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ diesel fuel additive #4  
Ron,
Out here in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada, temperatures dip to below 20 degrees, and the high each day is always above freezing, do you think I need additive to my dyed diesel?

Branson 3820, FEL, Backhoe

/ diesel fuel additive #5  
<font color="blue"> ...do you think I need additive to my dyed diesel? </font>
Hi Jim,

I think the best advice is when in doubt, use an additive. Why do I say this? It's cheap insurance. I'd rather spend a couple bucks on an additive than have to clean/replace a fuel filter, try and un-gel the fuel, all when it's freezing outside and I have a driveway to plow.

(This isn't directed just at you. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif) Seems that many people who post in this forum over analyze things. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif If it's a thousand dollar decision, then analysis is appropriate. But with additives, it's a a few bucks. Perhaps I am a 'belt and suspenders' person, but I have more important things to worry about than 'will it get cold enough to gel the fuel and did my local supplier winterized his fuel'.

I use 5 gallon containers. When they're empty, I dump in some additive, then fill them. I do this year round. So even if I buy fuel at the end of summer (when I use the tractor the most), I know it will be ready for winter, even the fuel sitting in the tractor tank.

EDIT: When I said I 'dump in some additive' that's what I do. The very first time I actually measured the amount I was pouring in and formed kind of a mental picture of the amount. That's what I dump in the container each time. Kind of like when a recipe calls for a 'dollop' of something. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Plus, when you pour it in the container (versus the fuel tank) you don't have to worry about some dribbling on the tractor.

/ diesel fuel additive #6  
</font><font color="blueclass=small">( ...but it only gives mix ratios for 240 gallons of fuel. I just dumped a couple caps full in my BX1830 tank.
can you over do it with this stuff /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif anyone know how to compute the correct mix.)</font>

Use a fill can - if a bottle of the stuff is good for 240 gallons, then you need 5/240 = 1/48 of the bottle.

If the bottle is a 1/2 gallon, for example, you'll need 64oz/48 = 1 1/3 oz. Use a measuring cup. If you want to mix right in your gas tank, then guestimate based on fill - a half ounce / gallon (based on the math above). Someone else mentioned a 1:500 mix ratio. Different math, but the results are the same... 5 gallons = 5*128 oz = 640 oz. 640/500 ~ 1 1/3 oz.

Personally, I've been buying the smallest bottle I can (to ease measuring) and mix at the highest recommended ratio (to assure no gelling - its getting cold here). PowerService in the white quart bottle, for example, mixes into as little as 50 gallons, or 1/10 bottle per 5 gallon can. I made 10 roughly evenly spaced hash marks (eyeballed it) up the side of the bottle with a Sharpie, then (using the trick I learned here) poke two small holes in the foil covering on the mouth of the bottle to make controlled pouring easy. Then, I simply pour one hash mark worth of stuff into my 5-gallon can before filling it up. Close enough for jazz.

Jay

/ diesel fuel additive #7  
Mike has already replied. My suggestion would be the same. I use additives even in the summer for added power. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ diesel fuel additive #8  
I completely agree with Mike, cheap assurance.

As for your question about dyed fuel, absoloutly. In most cases the fuel is the same as on road with dye added. The difference is that it may sit longer. Might not be blended for winter mix is just one of the issues I would be concerned about. Additives are just about a must in diesel fuel as far as I'm concerned.

/ diesel fuel additive #9  
Thanks everyone, I'm convinced and will follow your advice to use the fuel additive.