Hydraulic fluid/ Tranny fluid compaiible?

/ Hydraulic fluid/ Tranny fluid compaiible? #1  

George_Martin

The hydraulic fluid in my snowplow absorbs enough water in less then a years time to freeze up the system. If I drain and refill with Dexron III will I have any compatibility issues with the remainder of the hyd fluid in the system?

/ Hydraulic fluid/ Tranny fluid compaiible? #2  
Based on what we know about you, your tractor, its hydraulic system, the answer is a definite MAYBE. You need to fill in some blanks before anyone can help you. BobG in VA

/ Hydraulic fluid/ Tranny fluid compaiible? #3  
OK....how about for an old Meyer plow/pump? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Hydraulic fluid/ Tranny fluid compaiible?
That's right!! My Western plow had tranny fluid and never a problem, but the Meyer plow has hyd fluid which has a real bad habit of taking in water and having problems when you need it most. If I just do the pump with red will the remaining hyd fluid mess things up?

/ Hydraulic fluid/ Tranny fluid compaiible? #5  
That old fisher plow has had every thing from tranny oil to hydraulic to bar and chain /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif to get me through a storm when i had a leak.works fine.
ALAN

/ Hydraulic fluid/ Tranny fluid compaiible? #6  
try plowsite.com with this question. They are very good with this kind of thing.

/ Hydraulic fluid/ Tranny fluid compaiible? #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If I drain and refill with Dexron III will I have any compatibility issues with the remainder of the hyd fluid in the system? )</font>

My experience is that pretty much everything mixes with everything else w/o problems. Personally, I think compatibility issues are phantom creations made by marketing departments, but I'm cynical that way. ATF is super-cheap though, so if you are worried about it, drain the hydro, refill with ATF, then run for a few minutes while exercising everything. Drain and refill again and you'll be all set.

Jay