Default Hydraulic fluid/ Tranny fluid compaiible?

The hydraulic fluid in my snowplow absorbs enough water in less then a years time to freeze up the system. If I drain and refill with Dexron III will I have any compatibility issues with the remainder of the hyd fluid in the system?

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 6000 MWFD, 2 1950's Farmalls, 1974 Farmall 140, 1967 Mf 135Delux

Default Re: Hydraulic fluid/ Tranny fluid compaiible?

Based on what we know about you, your tractor, its hydraulic system, the answer is a definite MAYBE. You need to fill in some blanks before anyone can help you. BobG in VA

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    PT 422

OK....how about for an old Meyer plow/pump? [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

That's right!! My Western plow had tranny fluid and never a problem, but the Meyer plow has hyd fluid which has a real bad habit of taking in water and having problems when you need it most. If I just do the pump with red will the remaining hyd fluid mess things up?

Tractor
    bx-23 ,

That old fisher plow has had every thing from tranny oil to hydraulic to bar and chain [img]/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] to get me through a storm when i had a leak.works fine.
    ALAN

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    BX2230

try plowsite.com with this question. They are very good with this kind of thing.

Tractor
    L4200GST w/ LA680

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If I drain and refill with Dexron III will I have any compatibility issues with the remainder of the hyd fluid in the system? )</font>

My experience is that pretty much everything mixes with everything else w/o problems. Personally, I think compatibility issues are phantom creations made by marketing departments, but I'm cynical that way. ATF is super-cheap though, so if you are worried about it, drain the hydro, refill with ATF, then run for a few minutes while exercising everything. Drain and refill again and you'll be all set.

Jay