"Good" gas, "Bad" gas

/ "Good" gas, "Bad" gas #11  
Re: \"Good\" gas, \"Bad\" gas

The gas at the cheapie joint was probably an ethanol blend. I have noticed that it sells for less since Katrina and it delivers worse mileage. The pumps are supposed to be marked to reflect this, but I have noticed Shell's pumps now say their gas "may" contain ethanol. Not "does" contain, but "may".

/ "Good" gas, "Bad" gas #12  

I don't believe that ethanol mix is available from the Boston (actually Revere) terminal. All gas here, except Mobil brand, comes from the same bulk storage tank. There is a wholesale price difference that can fluctuate between 3 and 15 cents a gallon between unbranded and branded gas.

Are you sure that you got the amount of gallons the pump said? Pumps in NH and MA are only required to be checked and calibrated once a year. I could easily see someone adjusting the pump to read more that what was actually pumped.

Also underground storage tanks will contain some water and maybe other contaminates or the gas could be stale. This could affect your fuel mileage.

/ "Good" gas, "Bad" gas #13  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Are you sure that you got the amount of gallons the pump said? Pumps in NH and MA are only required to be checked and calibrated once a year. I could easily see someone adjusting the pump to read more that what was actually pumped.)</font>

Doesn't matter - I calibrate myself based on gas gauge and milage. My Tundra peaks out at 320-335 miles (14.5 MPG) in summer from topped off to when the idiot light goes on. In the dead of winter when it's around zero, I usually get ~265 miles (12 MPG). Right now I'm typically running in the 290-300mi range. I was looking at ~240miles with the cheepo gas (<11 MPG), which was just about the same as my previous tank that had 100 or so miles of trailer + 25mi of tractor towing on it. It was substantially worse than normal. If I didn't have a locking gas cap, I'd think someone siphoned some out.

Jay

/ "Good" gas, "Bad" gas #14  

Well then it's not the "source" of the gas since it all comes from the same bulk storage tank. It has to be something that is unique to that particlar station and/or your vehicle. I pointed out several possibilities in a previous post and I am sure there could be more, for example contamination in the tanker truck that delivered the fuel, etc. Most of the unbranded stations contract with independent haulers and who knows what was in the last load that was carried.

/ "Good" gas, "Bad" gas #15  

If they dont disclose that it is a blend it may open them up for legal trouble.. Ethenol/methenol blends can eat the rubber components in a regular fuel system, typicaly shown through fuel pump failures. Flex fuel vehicles are designed for this with different components including a blend sensor that will adjust fuel mixtures and timing accordingly. It would need to be an educated customer to catch this though, I'd bet most would just right it off to luck...

/ "Good" gas, "Bad" gas #16  

They did disclose...by saying "may."

FWIW, the ethanol is kept in a separate tank at the loading rack. The drivers blend it themselves according to the customer order, which was always 10% back in the day. No methanol around here.

/ "Good" gas, "Bad" gas #17  

Years ago, too many to remember all the details, I used to haul petroleum. At that time it was top load/bottom unload and no haz-mat endorsement. Those were the easy days, pre vapor recovery. Used to haul acid too. Still have my non sparking bronze wrenches and a few acid suits. /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

/ "Good" gas, "Bad" gas #18  

My subaru is not carburated, but fuel injected.
The mileage tests have repeatedly supported my statements.
Ben

/ "Good" gas, "Bad" gas #19  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Years ago, too many to remember all the details, I used to haul petroleum. )</font>

Me, too, but it was bottom-load, bottom unload, vapor-recovery, hazmat, PITA.

Trying hard to forget.