Air compressor oil

/ Air compressor oil #1  

Dargo

Tractor
Jinma, Foton, TYM, Belarus, Yanmar, Branson, Montana, Mahindra and maybe some green and orange too.
I have been careful about the oils and lubricants I use in all of my equipment and have diligently changed the oil and filters in everything...except my air compressor. It just dawned on me yesterday that my poor ole air compressor has the same oil it came with 20 years ago. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Yes, I've checked it a few times, but it has never need any added. My question is, what oil do you guys use in your compressors? This is a single stage compressor with a 5 hp 220 volt electric motor running it. I ought to be ashamed to have ignored my compressor all these years. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Also, how often do you guys change the oil in your compressors? I have to assume that it is more often than once every 20 years. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Air compressor oil #2  
Campbell-Hausfeld Air Compressor Oil, purchased at Wal-Mart.

It's an ISO-100 non-detergent oil. The notice on the bottle says:

Use of other oils such as 10W-30 can cause carbon to form, shortening air compressor life.

/ Air compressor oil #3  
20 years... not bad! At work we use a non-detergant straight 30. Our compressors run nearly all the time and we normally change the oil about every 6 months.

/ Air compressor oil #4  
Brent, I think 20 years ago, most people (including me) used a straight non-detergent 30W motor oil. And for home use, at least, it's not unusual for them to go several years between oil changes. In recent years, many companies have come out with oils specifically for air compressors (nope, I don't know what's different, but I've been using them). However, the manual for the compressor I have now says, "The compressor is pre-filled with synthetic oil. We recommend the use of a good quality 10W-30 synthetic motor oil for general use." It has instructions for checking and changing the oil, but says nothing about the frequency. After the first 3 months, I changed oil, and now I'll try to remember to do that annually. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif If it were in daily use, I'd probably do it about every 6 months.

/ Air compressor oil #5  
I buy Castrol Heavy Duty non-detergent for my Oliver. the oil shop where I buy it said they really only get a call for this for air compressors. About 2x the cost of Wal Mart oil - I'm hoping it is worth it for the old Oliver -when I use it, I use it. Synthetic might be the way to go for an air compressor, especially if the compressor is in an area where the temperature can flucuate.

/ Air compressor oil #6  
I have 3 compressors, 2 5 horse/220 units in tandem for the shop, single stage and a 20 horse 2 stage intercooled/aftercooled unit. I use Mobil Rarus 427 air compressor oil. VG100.

Enco sells it www.use-enco.com It's item Number 505-1213 and a gallon jug is $15.63.

I change my compressor oil every year, same month.

Most cast iron compressors with reed valves have a 5000 hour life span, so long as you change the oil and drain the tanks. I run automatic tank drains, with variable cycle times.

Item number-510-1357 They are a little more pricey at $109.00 each. Auto drains are really nice in as much as you don't have to remember to drain the receiver.

/ Air compressor oil #7  
My little 22gal Sanborne compressor is 21 years young and I've changed the oil twice with the most recent change six months ago, I figured it was due /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
The elect motor just had the bearings changed last week.
Someday I will have a 80 gal unit /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Air compressor oil #8  
my compressor calls for 30wt. n.d. oil

/ Air compressor oil #9  
Wushaw:

You probably don't run your compressor like I run the shop air compressor(s). My compressors are on standby 24/7.

/ Air compressor oil #10  
Kenmac:

Rarus VG100 in technospeak, i.e.: ISO terms is actually 30 wgt., non detergent oil with an additive package expressly for piston compressors.