ROYAL PURPLE

/ ROYAL PURPLE #1  

CarlGlas

Gold Member
Tractor
2005 MF GC2300
Okay, we've read about a few different brands of synthetic oils, but I haven't seen (or searched for) anything about Royal Purple.

What's the scoop?

Royal Purple was founded in 1986, but its roots go back much further. Founder John Williams was a pioneer in developing synthetic lubricants as far back as the 1940s and 1950s. He used his expertise in chemical engineering to found two other successful lubricant companies prior to founding Royal Purple.

http://www.royalpurple.com

/ ROYAL PURPLE #2  
Royal Purple sponsored my dirt track car one year. Although I don't still use their product I will say that I was very pleased with it. I am a cheapskate and stay away from the synthetics purely because of cost.

/ ROYAL PURPLE #3  
Its real popular amongst racers b/c of low friction qualities. It is a very 'thin' oil.

/ ROYAL PURPLE #4  
We used Royal Purple in our roadrace bikes and could come up with a quantifiable improvement in hp on the dyno. But keep in mind we changed our oil every race weekend. I've never run it in a car or tractor though. The cost to benefit ratio isn't there for me.

/ ROYAL PURPLE #5  
I work at electric utilities alot where they have huge coal dozers etc for moving the coal on the coal pile. One company down south swithed to Royal Purple after testing and saved over $250K in maintenance costs. The mechanic said they would run so hot before swithing to RP. After RP, they could lay their hands on the metal cases. He was totally impressed.

I bought some gear RP and put it in my Triumph 650 manual Xmission and shifting was easier and the noise was lower. The Triumph tranny only uses 500 CC's at a shot so it wasn't too expensive.

I don't use my tractor in what I would call severe service. If I did, I wouldn't hesitate to use it.

/ ROYAL PURPLE #6  
There's no doubt that it's excellent oil; in my mind the question is, is it that much better (for the money) than Amsoil or Mobil 1?

Personally, I run synthetic oil in every crankcase I own. Lower operating temperatures and negligible wear when using it in air-cooled motorcycle engines is what convinced me.

/ ROYAL PURPLE #7  
Amsoil claims that their product is better than RP. Don't know if they are right or not. RP doesn't offer the extended drain intervals, though. I could learn to like not having to change my hydraulic oil until once every 3000 hours and not changing the engine oil except for once every 800 hours...

/ ROYAL PURPLE #8  
here they say extended drains. I don't know the cost of royal purple per. qt. Being a preferred customer, I can buy asmoil at a good price. Amsoil list 25000 mile drains.

/ ROYAL PURPLE #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I work at electric utilities alot where they have huge coal dozers etc for moving the coal on the coal pile. One company down south swithed to Royal Purple after testing and saved over $250K in maintenance costs. The mechanic said they would run so hot before swithing to RP. After RP, they could lay their hands on the metal cases. )</font>

Unbelievable. Literally.

/ ROYAL PURPLE #10  
<font color="blue"> (or searched for) </font>
Carl, gotta learn to use the Search feature. There's a wealth of knowledge in the TBN databases. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

For one of many Royal Purple threads, Click Here.