Where to buy fuel?

/ Where to buy fuel? #1  

dlroy101

Bronze Member
Okay, this has got to be the dumb question of the day. Where is the best place to buy diesel fuel? Do you just go to the corner gas station and fill your tractor up with diesel from the pump and maybe an extra can to take along? Or is there some special place that tractor owners go to get their fuel? Sorry, but this is the first diesel anything I've owned. My logic going into this was that I'd just stop by the station to get fuel like somebody that had a diesel car or truck. It sounds like I might get a better deal and a more appropriate fuel if I go elsewhere. Where would that be?

Darrell

/ Where to buy fuel? #2  
You will want to try and buy your fuel where they have a quick turn over so the fuel is the freshest.. I try to only hit the places were truckers fuel up. You should get a winter blended fuel at these places as well.

good luck..

brian

/ Where to buy fuel? #3  
You can save about 45 cents per gallon if you can find a place that sells off-road. I get mine from a farm cooperative in a nearby town. It's not worth driving over there just for fuel, but if I'm going there for some other reason, I try to remember to take the can.

/ Where to buy fuel? #4  
There's a place that sells off-road diesel on the opposite side of town that's where I always get it.

/ Where to buy fuel? #5  
Don't know about MD, but here in TX I filled out a form to get farm fuel. It is dyed diesel with the road tax knocked off the price. If I get in a bind I have been known to drive the tractor to the country store a few miles away and fill up. But I try to keep some farm fuel around. I have a lot of diesel stuff so I tend to keep it pretty handy.

/ Where to buy fuel? #6  
When your in a jam, you'll try anywhere.... Do everything you can to follow the first directions about fresh fuel. I personally wont buy it from an above ground tank because of contamination issues from heat cycles and weather in general. If you can find a high volume truck stop nearby with off road diesel, that would be my choice.. For the cheap added saftey, I would also add a diesel fuel conditioner..Have fun /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Where to buy fuel? #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( When your in a jam, you'll try anywhere.... Do everything you can to follow the first directions about fresh fuel. I personally wont buy it from an above ground tank because of contamination issues from heat cycles and weather in general. If you can find a high volume truck stop nearby with off road diesel, that would be my choice.. For the cheap added saftey,

1*I would also add a diesel fuel conditioner..Have fun /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif )</font>

1*I bottle feed mine 3 ounces of power service from the white container to 5 gal of diesel.
Put 9 ounces of power service in a Babby bottle and marke the 3 6 and 9 ounce measurements with a felt tip pen .
Once you get the Baby bottle marked like so you can then throw away the measuring cup and pouring funel and forget cleaning them up every time you go to add Power Service to your fuel.

I highly recemmond running your fuel through a MR Funel prior to putting it in your tractor.

/ Where to buy fuel? #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( You can save about 45 cents per gallon if you can find a place that sells off-road. I get mine from a farm cooperative in a nearby town. It's not worth driving over there just for fuel, but if I'm going there for some other reason, I try to remember to take the can. )</font>
In Ohio you can file a fuel tax refund form with your income tax filing for reimbursement of the fuel tax.
The neat thing about this is you pay the same lower price for both on road and off road diesel so it don't make any difference where you get your fuel be it a farm cooperative or other off road source or on road diesel at truck stops and other gas stations.

/ Where to buy fuel? #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Darrell )</font>
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<font color="blue"> 1*Do you just go to the corner gas station and fill your tractor up with diesel from the pump and maybe an extra can to take along?
2*My logic going into this was that I'd just stop by the station to get fuel like somebody that had a diesel car or truck.
3*It sounds like I might get a more appropriate fuel and a better deal if I go elsewhere.
dlroy101
4*My logic was that I'd just stop by the station to get fuel like somebody that had a diesel car or truck. </font>
<font color="purple"> ################# </font>
<font color="brown"> 1* Not every gas station sells diesel.
How far is the nearest station from you?
Do you have a trailer to haul your tractor to the station?
2* This is the expensive way because you get charged for something you're not getting.
3* It's the same fuel just either taxed or untaxed. The only better deal is don't pay the tax.
In Ohio You can file a form for a refund of the fuel tax when you do you income taxes.
This means you don't pay the tax on off road diesel nor do you pay it on the on road diesel so it don't matter what you buy or where you get it.
Check this out with your state.
4* The flaw in this logic is there is a road tax on cars and trucks but none on tractors.
</font>

/ Where to buy fuel? #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Don't know about MD, but here in TX I filled out a form to get farm fuel. It is dyed diesel with the road tax knocked off the price. . )</font>
Why would you need a permit to buy off road diesel?
In Oh. any body that wansts to can buy it . no form or permit required.