Where to buy fuel?

/ Where to buy fuel? #11  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I personally wont buy it from an above ground tank because of contamination issues from heat cycles and weather in general. )</font>

Mr Funel and PS takes care of that.

/ Where to buy fuel? #12  
Here's the link to the form

/ Where to buy fuel? #13  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I personally wont buy it from an above ground tank because of contamination issues from heat cycles and weather in general. If you can find a high volume truck stop nearby with off road diesel, that would be my choice.. For the cheap added saftey, I would also add a diesel fuel conditioner..Have fun )</font>

i agree and dissagree with you, i dissagree with the part about an above ground tank being a bad thing, i work as a mechanic for a garbage hauling sompany and we have a 10,000 gallon above ground fuel tank, we have never had any issues fuel quality, our fuel filters on the trucks are changed anualy and rarely have more than maybe a teaspoon of water in them, and no contaminents other than the few very old trucks with steel tanks that have rust, but thats not the fuels fault. our fuel pump has a filter on it just like any other fuel pump, last time it was changed i cut it open just to see what was in it, found hardly anything visable to the eye even with a magnifying glass. i dont know just how many gallons of fuel went thru that filter, but it surely was alot since it had been on for about 8 months and we get a tractor trailer load of fuel delivered every two weeks roughly. now as to treating the fuel, i agree definatly that its best to add your own treatment. we had a very cold few days a while ago and the load of fuel we got was supposedly already pretreated, well we added another 2 containers to the tractor trailer load before they pumped it in, when it got cold tho we still had a few problems with gelling in the filters, and you could tell the fuel in the tank was right on the borderline of gelling. so its always best to add your own treatment

/ Where to buy fuel? #14  
Mark,
I would like to add a disclaimer to address your situation. Being that you go through a large amount of fuel, tractor trailer load every two weeks, you shouldnt have an issue. My concerns are more aimed at the mom and pop gas stations that have an above ground diesel tank that may get filled once or twice per year. High volume wont let the crud build up.

/ Where to buy fuel? #15  
Regardless of whether you have an above ground or under ground storage tank, water will be an issue. When I had my station I was a relatively high volume diesel dealer, pumping 6000-10,000 gallons per month. My undergrond tank always had about 4" of water. There was very little a station owner can do back then (mid 90's) to prevent water accumulation that wasn't overly expensive.

/ Where to buy fuel? #17  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( My concerns are more aimed at the mom and pop gas stations that have an above ground diesel tank that may get filled once or twice per year.)</font>

Do you know of any that get fuel that infrequently? We hauled a lot of fuel to a lot of off-the-beaten-path stations and none--zero--got fuel less than once per week.

/ Where to buy fuel? #18  
Yearly may be a bit exaggerated, but yes, some in the area are very slow movers. We see a good bit of bad fuel here. Most of it comes from these types of stations.

/ Where to buy fuel? #20  
Another thought since you questioned it, the humidity in this part of the country likely plays a large part in the fuel contamination as well. Not that it has anything to do with the amount of time it spends in the tank, but it got me thinking... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif