compressor oil for a small home compressor

/ compressor oil for a small home compressor #1  

joegeezer

i am a first time poster - hope i am complying with the norms on this forum. i need some solid advice.

i read the thread on compressor oil, and it seems my new little craftsman 3gal, 1 -1.5 hp 129v electric direct drive (sears model 921.153101) is not covered. i think it is a single stage compressor. it will be used 1 or 2 times a month, all months in an unheated garage near washington d.c.

i need some oil info as the small bottle of oil that came in the box had a loose cap and most all of it was spilled. the machine was shipped dry. a trip to 2 sears stores and calls to sears.com and support come up with shrugged shoulders and their part and frustration on mine.

the sears instruction book calls for: "air compressor oil such as SAE-30 non-detergent (API CG/CD Heavty Duty) oil". ""Only use non-detergent oils since multi-viscocity motor oils can build in crankcase causing damage to the compressor and possible personal injury".

alternative oils that may fit:
1. at home depot i find HUSKY_Air Compressor Oil
Model HDA10700AV Price: $1.94/ea
Air Compressor Oil, 16 Oz. Bottle 30 weight, non-detergent, single viscosity oil
2. at Lowes i find Campbell Hausfeld_IronForce Series 16 oz. Synthetic Blend Air Compressor Oil, Item #: 221009, Model: IFA102, $7.94. web site gives no info on specs.
3. from the Campbell Hausfeld site i find: We recommend SAE-30, non-detergent, true compressor oil which CH sells in a 1-pint bottle, part number ST125300AV or 1 gallon size, part number ST126700AV. We also now recommend the usage of Mobile One 5W-30 or 10W-30 synthetic automotive oil. i have only been able to find the CH ST125300AV oil by mail order at 1.50 - $3 per 16 oz.

i am about to go for the Mobile One 5W-30 or 10W-30 synthetic automotive oil, as syn oils are superior in variable temp and low use environments. i also keep it on hand for use in my cars.

what do you experienced hands reccomend?

thanks for help: joe

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ compressor oil for a small home compressor #2  
Hi ya Joe & welcome to TBN. There's a great group of guys here with a lot of knowledge and experience in just about everything.

I have a similar compressor and I put Mobile-1 10W-30W synthetic in it (because that's all I had at the time) and it's been working fine since Christmas 2004. Of course it doesn't get as cold here as it does there, but I don't think you'd go wrong with a multi grade especially if you are going to be using it when the temp's are whatever's considered cold where you are. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ compressor oil for a small home compressor #3  
This topic was just discussed a few weeks ago.

Take a look HERE.

/ compressor oil for a small home compressor #4  
Ive run Valvolene 10W-30 detergent in a CH compressor since I bought it in 1977. Its going to be "overhauled" this summer..so I'll change the oil init for the 4th time..*S* ( overhauled....mouse chewed the insulation off the electric wires...LOL)

/ compressor oil for a small home compressor #5  
If it were me.. I'd put -any- brand 'compressor' oil in it.. or from your list.. the ch synthetic compressor oil.... not any engine oil... even though it may work fine with it.. etc..

Soundguy

/ compressor oil for a small home compressor #6  
Welcome JG: I have a Porter-Cable 60 Gal single stage(somewhat bigger than yours) in which I use Husky compressor oil from Home Depot. Any compressor oil should be OK and I'd probably use that over even a good synthetic because of the additive packages that they all have.

Ditto what others have said about TBN. Been on these boards about two years; still learning new things every week.

/ compressor oil for a small home compressor
thanks for all the helpful input. lots of choices. funny thing is, if the bottle of oil sears supplied with my purchase had not leaked out, i would never have had this education.

sounds like there may be a gracious plenty of very good choices.

my tentative decision:
even though i use the compressor infrequently and for short duration, i do use it in some cold weather. seems like this short duty cycle and the cold usage point to a synthetic oil -- but one that is specially formulated for air compressors to get the right additives and to make sure it is "non-detergent".

a friend who is a mechanical engineer reccomends that i use red line sythetic compressor oil 10 w 30. it is $10 a quart, but a quart should last several years with annual oil change.

so if you have had any experience with the red line product, i would like to hear it. i think they mostly do high performance and racing stuff. you can find more info at:
http://www.redlineoil.com/pdf/7.pdf

again, thanks for your help.

peace: joe

/ compressor oil for a small home compressor
thought i would close this thread out by passing along some information on compressor oil an engineering friend shared with me. in addition to being a degreed engineer rob runs his own large auto repair shop specializing in european cars. his inputs ver batim.

On compressor oil.. ever since I can remember they have used a
straight weight oil w/o detergent. All auto oils have detergent and I
suspect that they are a superior product to the non-detergent oils.
My only reservation with the synthetic is that at one time they were
not to be used as a break in oil in new engines (ones I had rebuilt),
until the rings had a chance to seat in the bores. This is probably
not an issue even though your compressor most likely has similar rings.

Compared to a car, the oil in the compressor is not very highly
stressed. I think any non-detergent 30 wt oil would be fine unless
you are really going to be using the compressor below 15-20 degrees
F. I also think the Mobile One would work well.

The issue with detergent is probably one of moisture getting into the
oil. This is not such a problem on a car engine which gets hot enough
to evaporate the little bit of moisture that accumulates between
starts-and hopefully gets changed occasionally.

Hope this helps,

Rob

for the record, since i have it now, i will be using the redline 30w synthetic compressor oil. probably overkill.

peace: joe