hydraulic fluid cold weather

/ hydraulic fluid cold weather #11  
What happened to the old days when you just cut your regular hydro oil with a quart of kerosene? /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Soundguy

/ hydraulic fluid cold weather #12  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( What happened to the old days when you just cut your regular hydro oil with a quart of kerosene? )</font>

Soundguy:

I use on road diesel to cut the hydraulic fluid in my roll off trailer in the winter. 5 gallons of ORD to 40 gallons of hydraulic fluid. No problems with seals, valves or whatever.

/ hydraulic fluid cold weather #13  
Every tractor manual I have from 75' and back shows cutting oils with kero to make them 'winter' grade.. etc.

Soundguy

/ hydraulic fluid cold weather #15  
JMA -

Wow, how did I miss this thread? I must be slipping!

I am convinced that one of the most significant benefits to using synthetic lubricants are their vastly superior cold-weather characteristics. If I lived in Alaska (and that's a big if - my hat's off to you), I'd use nothing but synthetics in everything I owned, period. And for that 2-week warm spell known as an Alaskan "summer", synthetics handle heat better than conventional oils too.

I'd have to bet that the -50 stuff you saw was a true synthetic. And I'd also have to bet that there's a good chance I'll get hammered for suggesting that synthetics are superior to conventional oils for cold weather, and am going to be presented with anecdotal evidence "proving" that it's not. My final bet is that I'm not going to give a hoot. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

John

/ hydraulic fluid cold weather #16  
I'm with you. Hoot /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Hoot /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ hydraulic fluid cold weather #17  
<font color="blue"> And I'd also have to bet that there's a good chance I'll get hammered for suggesting that synthetics are superior to conventional oils for cold weather, and am going to be presented with anecdotal evidence "proving" that it's not. </font> /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I just do not understand why you would think that would happen here on TBN. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ hydraulic fluid cold weather #18  
I'd suggest a warm enclosure for the tractor. That way the fluids will flow and after the unit starts working the fluids will come up to normal operating temperatures.

Egon /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ hydraulic fluid cold weather #19  
Egon:

Heck with the tractor. How about a warm enclosure for your body so your "bodily fluid" fluid will flow better. I don't think they make synthetic blood yet.....then again maybe Amsoil will come up with that. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ hydraulic fluid cold weather #20  
Amsoil dont, but Jack Daniels makes a darn good blood warmer.