hydraulic fluid cold weather

/ hydraulic fluid cold weather #1  

JMA375HH

Bronze Member
Tractor
NH TC33DA
Hello I Live in Alaska and our long winters produce some pretty low temps. I have a New Holland tc33da. the Hydraulic Fluid Iam useing is pretty slugish in minus temps. I just found out about a cold weather Hydro fluid thats good to -50 below. has anyone used this type of hydro fluid in there tracktors and if so any problems with o-rings and Gaskets. thanks for any input.

/ hydraulic fluid cold weather #3  
Well I hope it never gets that cold here. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif -5 is as low as I've seen it.

But here's one oil that's pretty darn close for -50.

Excellent Protection in Temperature Extremes
AMSOIL Synthetic Tractor Hydraulic/Transmission Oil operates over a wide range of temperatures. It has a high viscosity index to maintain its lubricity at high operating temperatures, and it flows at temperatures as low as -47°F (-44°C) for improved equipment operation and wear protection at low temperatures. Synthetic Tractor Hydraulic/Transmission Oil exceeds the most demanding “all weather” specifications of both Ford New Holland FNHA-2-C-200 & 2-C-201 and John Deere J20C & J20D, eliminating the need for seasonal oil changes.

/ hydraulic fluid cold weather #5  
That's the stuff for cold weather. I've bought a 30 gal drum, and will buy some more. Only good to -47F??? Bummer for the Alaska dude! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif You're a good snake oil salesman, I'm sold! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ hydraulic fluid cold weather #6  
/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif That old snake oil stopped the brake chatter on my Farmtrac. Got a Fasse valve that use to stick in the off position every winter on a 2610 Long. Not any more. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I just ordered 5 gal. of that cold weather snake oil too. It don't get much slicker than snake oil. /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif It flows when it's cold too. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ hydraulic fluid cold weather #7  
I've got that very same snake oil in my 990 as well.

Snakes make far better oil than dinosaurs IMHO.

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ hydraulic fluid cold weather
Charolais, Thanks for the info got so busy at work this last week forgot to ask my Mechanics what the heck they call that stuff. but what your talking about sounds pretty good too. very rarely do we see anything more then 30' below but cold is cold. we just had a 60' degree change this week we are back to high 30's t-shirt weather and time to wash the truck and tractor. thanks again for the possitive input to my question.

/ hydraulic fluid cold weather #9  
You're welcome JMA375HH. I'm sure there are some other brands out there that will flow at the (brrrrr) temp. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I had just ordered some and saw your post and it was fresh on my old mind.

If you decide to change over to this brand(or any other brand) let us know if you see a difference in flow at low temps.

/ hydraulic fluid cold weather #10  
Snake Oil?
When I blew out (2) transmission filters a few years ago in 10 degree weather I discovered what a thick fluid can do in cold temps. Kubota had a service bulletin out specifying a beefier filter that the dealer failed to discover due to my geographic location (zone specific bulletin).
From that time I switched to Amsoil (now spec'd as 5w30) trans/hyd fluid. I use Amsoil in everything I own, along with bypass filtration - I have some impressive UOA's (used oil anaylsis) and I can confirm that it is not snake oil.