Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3400 HST 4WD

Default Re: kerosene as diesel fuel?

This discussion has expanded my knowledge. Like many who haven't explored this issue, I assumed that k-1 and #1 diesel were the same thing.

I wonder if the cetane/lubricity concerns about using k-1 couldn't be addressed by using a cetaine booster with lubricants. With my 25-year old diesel car I started using such a booster when California went to low-sulfur diesel in the 1990s. This was the dealer's recommendation, in fact.

The cost difference between k-1 and diesel is not a issue for me in So. Oregon. My initial hope when I started this thread was to have single storage tank that would serve both my kerosene space heater and my tractor -- which would facilitate more rapid turn-over of stored fuel and be more convenient for me.

If I have two storage tanks, the k-1 tank will be unused for 6 months of the year and will be gathering condensation into the fuel. If the fuel can be dual-use, it will stay much fresher.

What do you all think: can an additive turn k-1 into a decent tractor diesel fuel?

Super Star Member
    First organized permanent settlement in the northwest territory
    Tractor
    2003 Kubota BX1500/2004 Kubota Bx23/2005 Kubota BX1500

Around these parts kerosene is 10 to 15 cents more per gallon than diesel so why would i want to use it even if they were the same thing?

Tractor
    2005 MF GC2300

<font color="blue"> ( New owner of L3400 HST 4WD.

I note that the fuel requirements are #1 or #2 diesel. Is #1 diesel the same as kerosene?

We use kerosene for supplemental heat and it would be handy to have a single storage tank for heater and tractor. Are there any downsides to this approach? Thanks! </font>

MikePA: Removed copyrighted material.

HowStuffWorks Copyright Notice

Copyright

All content included on this site, such as text, graphics, logos, button icons, images, audio clips, digital downloads, data compilations, and software, is the property of HowStuffWorks or its content suppliers and protected by United States and international copyright laws. The compilation of all content on this site is the exclusive property of HowStuffWorks and protected by U.S. and international copyright laws. All software used on this site is the property of HowStuffWorks or its software suppliers and protected by United States and international copyright laws. Except as provided for by law, you may not use any HowStuffWorks copyrighted material without express written permission.

More: http://tinyurl.com/2qvbt

Also, interesting article about fuel adulteration.
    http://tinyurl.com/9e6j7

Tractor
    2005 MF GC2300

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Around these parts kerosene is 10 to 15 cents more per gallon than diesel so why would i want to use it even if they were the same thing? )</font>

#2 Diesel (what we use here) is $2.41 a gallon and K-1 sells at Lowes/Home Depot for $30 for a 5 gallon can. I use k-1 in the heater in my chicken house, and thought about using diesel because it's cheaper. But then I had this thought of returning the next morning and finding hundreds of dollars worth of dead chickens lying on the ground and decided that $5 a gallon, while expensive, wasn't that bad. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Next year I think I'll use a wood stove of one that burns corn.

Super Star Member
    Tractor

<font color="red"> K-1 sells at Lowes/Home Depot for $30 for a 5 gallon can. I decided that $5 a gallon, while expensive, wasn't that bad.
    </font>

<font color="purple"> This isn't $5 a gallon,it's $6 a gallon.
    I'd say it's real bad considering the gas stations around here sell it for less than 3 bucks a gallon. </font>

)</font>

Tractor
    2005 MF GC2300

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="red"> K-1 sells at Lowes/Home Depot for $30 for a 5 gallon can. I decided that $5 a gallon, while expensive, wasn't that bad. </font>

<font color="purple"> This isn't $5 a gallon,it's $6 a gallon.
    I'd say it's real bad considering the gas stations around here sell it for less than 3 bucks a gallon. </font>
    )&lt;/font&gt; )</font>

Caught that did you. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I rounded it off to the next higher number because of sales tax. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I guess it's like the price per gallon for gasoline. .38 cents of the price of every gallon is tax.

Super Star Member
    Tractor

I canceled this post

Tractor
    Kubota L-39 GST TLB, Kubota L3130GST, Massey 1030 HST, Kubota ZD-21 ProDecK, Two Euro VW TDIs

<font color="blue"> I think kerosene has a higher cetane rating than #2 diesel, isn't that why they mix it in the winter with diesel, for hotter burn for better cold weather performance up north????? I believe it has less lubricating quality???? </font>

In fact it is 100% the opposite, kerosene has a much lower cetane rating that #2 diesel, which is why when you mix it with #2 diesel to create winterized #1 diesel the cetane is lowered.......

You are correct in believing that kersoene has less lubricating quality than #2 diesel, that is why when you run kero in your diesel engine, yourcomplete fuel injection system is destroyed.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    jd 970, JD GT235

Interesting, the other morning the morning radio guy and traffic helicopter guy were talking about fuel prices. The piolt said he burns 22-23 gallons of kerosene an hour. Do all choppers use this?

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    BX2230

Gasoline engine choppers use av gas. Turbine powered ones use jet fuel, which is a high class kero. I suspect the FAA would frown on someone running true kero in an aircraft.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12