Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Price of Diesel

If you have something like gasbuddy.com inyour area it might help finding the cheapest close fuel; my apologies if you're already doing it...reg gas here in Ptlnd OR ranges from 1.95 (Arco, a discounter here) to 2.15 or so (Std) with diesel higher than premium...but in years past found gas cheaper there than up here, and over the years it's gone back and forth (can you spell collusion?)..with sympathy

Super Star Member
    First organized permanent settlement in the northwest territory
    Tractor
    2003 Kubota BX1500/2004 Kubota Bx23/2005 Kubota BX1500

$2.46 down from $2.48

Tractor
    New Holland TC40D

Ha! Haha! Come out here. Last night two stations, Chevron and 76, had diesel at $2.89/g, vs regular at 2.39.....

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    sold PT-425

On-road diesel prices here in Triad area of NC and Southside VA have been virtually flat since mid-January. They are running around $2.49/Gal. Curiously, my local station dropped prices to $2.43 at the beginning of the week (when I didn't need it [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]) and then bumped it back to $2.49 this afternoon!

The Energy Information Administration (EIA) has a pretty informative website, updated weekly, which tracks gasoline and diesel prices by region of the country {HERE} The site has a bunch of additional links to fuel/energy topics that have been discussed in this thread.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    3 Yanmars

13 gallons at 2.59/gal today. Cheapest I could find in my area... A week ago, it was 2.54/gal. hmm...

this stuff is volatile. effects the entire economy... if something really bad happened, i'd not want to consider the price of things (most consumer goods) after a serious price hike...

Tractor
    john deere 630,4200,lx188

the price of diesel is driven by commercial use. the fuel companies set the prices and we have to pay it. it wouldnt matter if they raised the prices to 5 dollar a gallon to work i have to have it so i pass the cost down to my customers. right now my fuel surcharge is .16 cents per mile and whoever buys a ford pays it. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    1998 JD 770 & 2004 Toro LX417

Dirt Hauler:

Beware! Your supplier that provides clear, "off road" diesel without the federal and state highway use taxes is asking for serious trouble. The statement by the IRS of "tax or dye" means if diesel fuel is sold without the tax it must be dyed.

What would prevent someone from buying clear "off road" diesel and burning it in their highway vehicles? Nothing, but their own honesty. That's why all off road fuel must be dyed. The only exception being jet fuel because the aviation industry was strong enough to stop the requirement ot dye jet fuel claiming it would be unsafe to fly with such dye in the fuel.

I'm 99% certain that your friendly supplier can not legally sell clear diesel without the tax unless the law changed in the last few years. If you purchase it, how will you prove that you did not use the clear "off road" fuel on the road. Since the tax is frequently collected at the "rack", when the trucks are loaded at the refinery, it's very hard to get clear "off road" diesel that does not have the tax paid already.

The Internal Revenue Service Criminal Investigation Division (IRS CID) (those are the guys with the firearms and powers of arrest, search and seizure; the same ones that got Al Capone) have conducted numerous Motor Fuel Excise Tax intestigations throughout the coutnry and Burned many people illegally selling highway fuel as off road fuel. The penalty for this is a huge fine if you're lucky and hard prison time plus the fine if not so lucky. Their purchasing customers frequently get toasted along with them in the form of significant fines.

The IRS CID conducts surveillances on distributors, transporters and eventually customers in order to develop evidence that will hold up in Federal court.

As you probably know, there is little profit in fuel sales per gallon, so if one station in an area is selling fuel for 5 - 10 cents per gallon less than a neighboring station, there is a very good chance that he is cheating. There is just not enough profit in fuel to allow such a price difference.

Those same dealers that sell fuel that much cheaper are either buying non-taxed fuel illegally, or are blending something into the fuel. IRS CID criminal case evidence has shown that the cheating dealer will frequently add used crankcase oil, jet fuel that the military has sold as contaminated fuel (left over fuel in military jets is stored then sold and must be re-refined; it can not be sold as jet fuel legally), and in some cases even toxic waste. Some truck drivers bought this crap that they thought was cheap diesel fuel only to have their $20,000.00 diesel engines fail in literallyjust a few miles.

The risks simply are not worth it. That's why I only purchase name branded diesel and gasoline from established reputable dealers. Engine failures are too costly to do otherwise.

Fortunately I have a local diesel supplier that sells off road dyed diesel fuel.

Sorry Dirt Hauler, I didn't intend to be so preachy.

Tractor
    JD 8320 MFWD, JD 6415 MFWD, FEL, and cab, John Deere MFWD 4600, John Deere 4020, John Deere 4430, John Deere 455 mower, Deutz, and Gehl 4610 perkins skidsteer

Joe you are wrong on the no dyed fuel. You can buy non-dyed diesel fuel for off-road use. You can also buy gasoline for off-road use. Both are 100% perfectly legal. You have to sign the paperwork saying it is for off-road use but that is it. You also cannot purchase the fuel and put it in a vehicle. It has to be purchased in some sort of fuel tank that is not not attached to your vehicle. But it can and does happen everyday.

Richard, in addition to the federal laws/rules/regulations, there are some state regulations, too. I don't know all of them anymore, but I know it kept changing in Texas. I've never bought any dyed fuel, but I used to buy the undyed diesel simply by signing a form that the distributor had. Then they changed so that I had to send an application to the state and they sent me a form with a number that I had to show the distributor. And then, after I quit buying it, I got a letter from the state that only dyed fuel could be purchased in the future for off road use without paying the taxes. Chapter 162 of the Tax Code in Texas covers the topic in great and lengthy detail. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] I'm sure it's different in other states.

Super Star Member
    First organized permanent settlement in the northwest territory
    Tractor
    2003 Kubota BX1500/2004 Kubota Bx23/2005 Kubota BX1500

After I quit buying it, I got a letter from the state that only <font color="red">RED </font> dyed fuel could be purchased in the future for off road use without paying the taxes. Chapter 162 of the Tax Code in Texas
    BIRD
    =====
    This sucks if they make such a requirement without mandating that such<font color="red"> RED </font> dyed fuel be made conveniently available to the public.
    That's my big gripe around here I have to buy the dyed stuff but nobody sells it here.

~~~~~~~~~

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast