marvel mystery oil ???

/ marvel mystery oil ??? #1  

HEC

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M5700 @ B2650HSDC
There seems to be a fair amount of marvel mystery oil being sold in my area and when I ask people why they use it I get many different answers such as for lubricating fuel pumps and injector pumps etc. etc. and some use it for gas engines ,some for diesel engines.My question is do any of you use this product and if so for what reason and how do you like it.I presently use the power service product which is a good seller also but they seem to be for different applications.
Herb,

/ marvel mystery oil ??? #2  
I once owned a 1949 BSA motorcycle; the owners manual specified the addition of "an eggcup-full" of upper cylinder lubricant to every other tank of gas. MMO was the closest thing to upper cylinder lubricant I could find in this country. I never did have any top end problems with that bike so I guess it worked!

/ marvel mystery oil ??? #3  
In the late '50s and early '60s my Dad owned a service station and we sold lots of 4 oz. cans of "upper lube". I know Mobil had their own brand; can't remember whether Texaco did, also, or not, but I think they did. Some people added it to their gas tank, some poured it slowly through the carburetor with the engine running at a fast idle, and a few put it in their oil. And of course we sold a lot of quarts of Marvel Mystery oil for the same uses.

/ marvel mystery oil ??? #4  
<font color="blue">In the late '50s and early '60s my Dad owned a service station and we sold lots of 4 oz. cans of "upper lube" </font>

Roger that Bird, my dad had a auto service shop in the '30s and as a kid in the 50's I too heard a lot about MMO. It was sorta a 'mystery' back then as to what this stuff actually did, I think now in 2006 its still a 'mystery' to me. I still keep a can in my shop though, I guess it just makes me feel good to see it there knowing somehow that I'm doing right by at least having it.

In the days of manual hand operated oil pumps on old Harleys and splash lubrication, engines probably needed a little boost. I doubt todays engines are lacking for lubrication. Still, its a good penetrating oil and I do occasionally add some to a fresh rebuild, or to gear transmissions. Most of all that red can in clear view above my wrenches just makes me feel good /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ marvel mystery oil ??? #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( In the days of manual hand operated oil pumps on old Harleys and splash lubrication, engines probably needed a little boost.)</font>

Good point; flatheads (which Harley still manufactured through 1965) don't have any way to lube their valves except a bit of oil mist that gets blown up the pushrod tubes from the cam chest. Curiously though, I've owned several flatheads (still have one actually) and their owners manuals never said anything about adding upper lubricant, while the BSA that did had overhead valves. Maybe Indian and Harley just had more faith in their designs than BSA.

/ marvel mystery oil ??? #6  
Do a search here for Marvel Mystery Oil. It has been discussed to death here on TBN several times, as recently as a few months ago. You will get more info than you will ever want to know about MMO, it's uses and it's myths.

/ marvel mystery oil ??? #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I know Mobil had their own brand; can't remember whether Texaco did, also, or not, but I think they did.)</font>

hmmm - I guess I didn't look in Oklahoma, Bird. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Truth to tell, that was when I was a teenager so I probably didn't look all that hard.

/ marvel mystery oil ??? #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( didn't look in Oklahoma )</font>

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gifDad's Texaco station was in Marietta, OK, but the Mobil station was in Plano, TX, where I know we had Mobil upper lube. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif In the auto parts store (same building as the service station), we sold all kinds of oil additives and lubricants (and told customers that we recommended none of them). I also recall Mobil technical people claiming that there were only two additives on the market at that time that would do no damage to your car; those being Bardahl and Alemite CD2. And they claimed that the Mobil upper lube would do just as much good as those two. And of course, I have no way of knowing whether they were right or not. It was also not uncommon for customers to try oil additives and return requesting a refund, which we always gave them (money back guarantee on everything we sold). And the additive manufacturers refunded our money, except for Wynn's. They expected the retailers to offer a money back guarantee, but they refused to refund to us, so it didn't take long for us to drop their products because nearly everyone who bought one wanted his money back.

/ marvel mystery oil ??? #9  
<font color="blue"> "flatheads (which Harley still manufactured through 1965" </font>

A little off topic, but I thought Harley dropped the flathead K, and KH models for the Sportster before that, or maybe they continued the flathead for racing only. Speaking of BSA, I bought a new Super Road Rocket in '62. I see also where Triumph has brought back the Bonneville, I may just get one. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Interesting coments on the old name brand name additives, I forgot most of them until Bird's post. Marvel Mystery oil survived to this day, and I am sure it has redeaming value. Still like that red can! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ marvel mystery oil ??? #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue"> "flatheads (which Harley still manufactured through 1965" </font>

A little off topic, but I thought Harley dropped the flathead K, and KH models for the Sportster before that, or maybe they continued the flathead for racing only.)</font>

The K model was dropped in 1957 as you say for the OHV Sportster, but they still made the venerable WL 45" flathead for meter-maid trikes until 1965.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Speaking of BSA, I bought a new Super Road Rocket in '62. I see also where Triumph has brought back the Bonneville, I may just get one. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif)</font>

I'm sure you know that the new company just bought the rights to use the Triumph name and logo, and has nothing to do with the original Triumph from Meriden. They seem to be putting out some decent bikes and all and I wish them well because competition is a Good Thing, but personally I'd rather have a vintage Bonneville than their new one.