Purolator vs Fram

/ Purolator vs Fram #1  

deerefan

Veteran Member
Tractor
1952 8N, 2005 JD 5103
I need some input, guys. I've been using Purolator filters on my Ford trucks for a couple years. Well, I can save my money by buying Castrol at Wal-Mart over Advance and not to mention time. Wal Mart carries Fram. Does anyone have some solid data on these filters? I'll switch to Fram if it is better but I have not had any problems with Purolator either. Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Purolator vs Fram #2  
Deerefan,

Boy have you asked a loaded question! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have read lots of posts that say Fram filters are not very good. There are others who like the Purolator. Then there are those that don't. Eventually someone will post a link to a website where the guy opened up a bunch of filters to see how they were built. That does not tell you how well they filter though. But I guess one could assume that a well built filter will filter.

I just keep it simple and buy the Motorcraft brand oil filter. If there is a Mobil One filter I'll buy that since it makes me feel better. What I have been doing lately is just sending a note to my dealer with the filters I need. They mail them to me and I usually get them a day or two days after ordering. JD sells filters made by Fleetguard. I am running a JD oil filter made by Fleetguard on my Ford truck. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

My dealer can get me the filters I need and the shipping cost is minimal and worth every cent. It seems everytime I need a filter I end up running to a couple stores before I find what I need. The JD filters at my dealer are priced fairly. Some or a bit more some are a bit cheaper than store bought. It averages out price wise.

Later,
Dan

/ Purolator vs Fram #3  
another Question. Which grade of Fram filter ? I have used Fram for many years with no problems. They have in fairly recent time cam out with an improved filter though. Tuff Guard maybe ? not sure on the name.
I have also used some purolators, no complaints with them either.
Ben

/ Purolator vs Fram #4  
Buy the Motorcraft filter from Wal-Mart, it is made by Purolator.

/ Purolator vs Fram
Yea....I'm blind! Now that you mention it, Motorcraft is available at Wal Mart. I'm not sure what type Fram, but I usually use the normal filter, not the one with the special name.

/ Purolator vs Fram #6  
Fram took it in the shorts when they were acquired by Allied Signal. Up til then, I think they made a pretty good filter but since their brand is so recognizable, Fram is probably the #1 counterfeited filter out there. I think much of their lousy reputation started when people started looking inside the counterfeit Frams.

But from what I've read, the never-ending corporate march to cheapness has made the real Frams just about as bad.

For the same money, I buy Purolator or Motorcraft. If you want to get a premium filter, get a Donaldson, Fleetguard, or Baldwin. They're not much more.
edit: Or Wix. Wix is a good filter.

/ Purolator vs Fram #7  
purolator 1 or motorcraft over the fram for off the shelf filters Or you can get the best Amsoil EA oil filters with advanced media technology ( nanofiber) 25000 mile oil filter. It's hard to save money & have high quality. You get what you pay for.the more you pay for a good oil , filter, etc, the better that product is.The product had to be developed & tested . Then, you have the cost of the better materials used in the oil/ filter.

/ Purolator vs Fram #8  
There is some solid data on the webpage
oilfilterstudy.com

In short the best for filtration were Fram Tough Guard, Purilator Pure 1 and an AC Delco. These three had equal filtration efficiency but I liked the construction of the Pure 1 the best. However the Tough guard was the only one with a screen over the bypass valve.

/ Purolator vs Fram #9  
It may be made by Purilator but it's not as good as the bottom line Purilator as far as filtration efficiency.