Off-Road Diesel

/ Off-Road Diesel #11  
Piffle = non-offensive term used in place of your choice of very offensive expletive.

In other words, I don't want to get banned for saying what I really think, so I use 'piffle'.

I could also use 'bah, humbug', 'hogwash', 'malarkey', or several other colorful choices with the same effect.

English 101 Lesson Of The Day For Nitwits is now complete.

/ Off-Road Diesel #12  
What's the difference between off road fuel and regular fuel oil for your furnace, if any??

/ Off-Road Diesel #13  
Depends on where you are located and what your supplier is selling. The red dye for off road diesel is usually added at the "rack" where the tanker fills up with on-road diesel because that is where the tax is collected.

Home heating fuel also has the dye but the HHO is usually a slightly different blend. It will work in your diesel engine.

/ Off-Road Diesel #15  
Yahoo, I loaded 50 gallons of off road diesel into 2 barrels this morning 25 each for easier handling. It sits in my truck now. I paid no road tax but the sales tax of 8.8% applied. I saved just over 40 cents per gallon plus the convenience of having my own stash as prices rise. Of ocurse they could fall too but that doesn't seem too likely.

Boy can those high speed nozzles fill. I did not expect the thrust. I didn't spill a drop though and the whole filling operation was much cleaner than any jerry can filling experience at the local pumps.

/ Off-Road Diesel #16  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( What's the difference between off road fuel and regular fuel oil for your furnace, if any??
)</font>

The red dye _only_ signifies that no road tax was paid on the fuel. That is the _only_ difference.

Depending on how cold it is at the time of purchase, diesel fuel or heating oil can be any particular blend of #2 fuel, #1 fuel, and some lubricating conditioners for engines. Most of the time all are the same thing, heating or diesel fuel, if about equal amounts of fuel & heat are used in your area. Suppliers don't like storing & selling 2 different things, costs more than just making a multi purpose batch. Any of these can be used for heating, likely your diesel engine will be ok with bits of heating oil tho a steady diet of the (rare) poorer formulations can cause problems over time.

However, the RED does not help you identify _any_ of this - it is only a tax issue, has nothing to do with the quality or type of fuel.

Most of the time, off road & heating oil is the same thing.

--->Paul

/ Off-Road Diesel #17  
So diesel,hho,and off road fuel usually are the same thing except for the red dye?

/ Off-Road Diesel #18  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( So diesel,hho,and off road fuel usually are the same thing except for the red dye? )</font>

Once again, it depends on where you are located. Here in the Northeast, HHO and diesel come from different storage tanks. Off road diesel may or may not be the same as on-road (except for the dye).

First rule of thumb, ASK THE DISTRIBUTOR WHAT HE IS SELLING. Then ask him to ask his supplier. I can buy 3 different types of off-road fuel within 15 minutes of where I live.

One answer does not fit all, especially when it comes to diesel.

/ Off-Road Diesel #19  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">(
The red dye _only_ signifies that no road tax was paid on the fuel. That is the _only_ difference.

Depending on how cold it is at the time of purchase, diesel fuel or heating oil can be any particular blend of #2 fuel, #1 fuel, and some lubricating conditioners for engines. Most of the time all are the same thing, heating or diesel fuel, if about equal amounts of fuel & heat are used in your area. Suppliers don't like storing & selling 2 different things, costs more than just making a multi purpose batch. Any of these can be used for heating, likely your diesel engine will be ok with bits of heating oil tho a steady diet of the (rare) poorer formulations can cause problems over time.

However, the RED does not help you identify _any_ of this - it is only a tax issue, has nothing to do with the quality or type of fuel.

Most of the time, off road & heating oil is the same thing.

--->Paul )</font>

There are TWO agencies requiring dye to be put in diesel fuel, thus signifying that it is unusable as road fuel:

1. The IRS wants red dye in it if no tax has been paid, regardless of sulfur content.

2. The EPA wants red dye in it if there is more than 500ppm sulfur in it, which will soon change to 15ppm. I believe the color of the dye is going to change as well.

/ Off-Road Diesel #20  
"1. The IRS wants red dye in it if no tax has been paid, regardless of sulfur content."

Unless you paid state sales tax as I did today on red dyed off-road diesel.