Off-Road Diesel

/ Off-Road Diesel #1  

gizmo

Silver Member
Tractor
2002 JD990
I have been runnig off-road diesel in my tractor for about a year now and I am pretty sure that the engine runs better with the higher sulphur content. I started to buy it just because it was less expensive. I'm not sure that I would notice the difference in a blind test, but knowing my machine as I do, it really seems to run smoother and stronger. Any of you folks have the same experience.

/ Off-Road Diesel #2  
Michael,
I dont think the off road fuel in this area is still hi sulfer.. From what I understand it went low sulfer years ago.. Cant explain the better running, but good /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.. Cost less, runs better.. I like it.. I run O/R fuel too, but I also add Power Service too.. Havent noticed a difference because thats what I've always run in it.. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Off-Road Diesel #3  
I use it in all my diesel engines, going on 2 years now... I notice no difference.

I did some research on it before switching over from 'premium' and could find no documentation that could provide any definitive chemical differentiation between the two colors of fuel.

If I remember correctly, sulfur acts as a lubricant and anti-knock agent, so a bit more of it isn't going to hurt anything in the engine. The only thing it will do is create a few more pollutants in the exhaust.

/ Off-Road Diesel #4  
Both fuels are the same . The reason off road fuel is cheaper is because you are not paying road use tax on it. It is dyed red so they can make sure people aren't useing it in trucks. If you get caught using it in an onhighway vehicle it is a very expensive fine.We have both types at work and aust about every year they come around and take samples from the fuel tanks on our trucks. One local guy go fined $2600.00

/ Off-Road Diesel
The place that I buy off-road has clearly marked on the pump "High Sulphur." I can't claim it's actually true, but now I'm curious.

/ Off-Road Diesel #6  
I doubt that it is high sulphur as I don't think it is currently being refined any longer. The only real way is to ask the distributor, not the retailer who probably knows nothing but what the sign says. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Off-Road Diesel #7  
On the fuel distributor's web page where I will be picking up OR diesel tomorrow, they list the off-road diesel as high sulfur too. Don't thing it matters anyway if it was or not.

/ Off-Road Diesel #8  
A loud and grumpy 'PIFFLE' regarding fines for using off-road diesel.

/ Off-Road Diesel #10  
I've been running off-road diesel for many years now without any discernable difference.

My only complaint is that even though it is far cheaper without the taxes, it isn't nearly as cheap as it could be because my supplier knows he is the only source for off-road diesel in the area and charges accordingly. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif