Change In Gas Could Lead To Pumped-Up Prices

/ Change In Gas Could Lead To Pumped-Up Prices #1  

CarlGlas

Gold Member
Tractor
2005 MF GC2300
Since this story aired last night I have seen the price of gasoline rise, in some places, as much as 18 cents a gallon.

My question is, what effect does this new ethanol mixture have to do with the price of Diesel? It's increased 15 cents
a gallon. Just a coincidence? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

New Ethanol Mixture Eliminates Ingredient Known To Pollute Water

HOUSTON -- Filling up might not look or work any differently at the gas pumps but behind the scenes, some big changes are in the works to the gasoline that millions use to fuel their vehicles.
Click here for rest of story.

/ Change In Gas Could Lead To Pumped-Up Prices #2  
I had not seen that story, and haven't heard anything about changing the blend, but prices are definitely going up fast around here. I've been buying my gas lately at a Sam's Club which has usually been 3 to 12 cents a gallon cheaper than the other stations in the area, but not today. On 3/4/06, I paid $2.089 a gallon, on 3/8/09 (4 days later) I paid $2.219 a gallon, and today it was $2.509 at Sam's Club. We did notice a few stations on the north side of Dallas with signs still showing $2.359, but most of them were $2.499, with a couple at $2.399, and one at $2.519.

/ Change In Gas Could Lead To Pumped-Up Prices #3  
Everyone will be feeling the pain, it seems, for awhile. Canadian east coast prices went up 3 cents a litre two days ago, and another 4 cents a litre today - total 7 cents a litre X 4 litres per US gallon = 28 cents a gallon increase!! One radio station was claiming this is an annual rite of spring for the oil companies, that gas prices ALWAYS rise in March-April - funny I just don't remember that!!! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Change In Gas Could Lead To Pumped-Up Prices
Gasoline prices historically increase during Spring Break and usually decrease after Labor Day. However, hearing the logic of some, considering inflation, the price of fuel is still less per gallon today than it was in the 1980's. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Remember Black Monday ?

By the time I finally got my financial advisor on the phone I had lost $$$. Being the cool, calm, and collective guy he was, he told me to not worry because the loss was only on paper. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Reminds me of the definition of an Optimist.

An Optimist is a person who can tell you to cheer up, when everything is going THEIR way. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Change In Gas Could Lead To Pumped-Up Prices #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue"> U.S. crude supply climbs for a fifth week: Energy Dept </font> )</font> Full Story Crude Supplies

Are the oil companies exempt from the laws of Supply & Demand ????!!!! How with a straight face can the Oil Companies justify these latest price increases. Somehow greed and monopoly come to mind!!!!

Buck

/ Change In Gas Could Lead To Pumped-Up Prices #6  
I read a similar article exc it indicated that prices were increasing b/c of high demand and limited refining capacity. It seems that no new refineries have been built here for some time and demand has exceeded ability to supply. That said I know at least one oil company attempted to shutdown a profitable refinery (in CA). I believe the state stopped them...at least thats how the story goes. Also playing into this is the oil companies selling crude to other countries to keep prices high here. In other words sell it somewhere else so supply here appears smaller than it is.

/ Change In Gas Could Lead To Pumped-Up Prices #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Reminds me of the definition of an Optimist.

An Optimist is a person who can tell you to cheer up, when everything is going THEIR way. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif)</font>

Carl,
You remember Murphy's Law?....With MY luck I think Murphy is an optimist! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Change In Gas Could Lead To Pumped-Up Prices #8  
jimg

<font color="blue"> "limited refining capacity" </font>
Thats where monopoly comes into play. They try to blame strict regulations for the lack of refineries,but if they actually did build new refineries the cost of gas might go down.
Buck

/ Change In Gas Could Lead To Pumped-Up Prices #9  
Right...I think this is a shared problem by govt and oil companies. They can blame each other and so the problem never gets resolved.

/ Change In Gas Could Lead To Pumped-Up Prices #10  
There has not been a new refinery built in the last 25 years because of the NIMBY outlook. That is NOT IN MY BACK YARD. There is a group in Arizona that has been trying for more than 10 years to get permission to build a new, more efficient refinery. Pollution regulations and opposition by environmentalists have kept it blocked.

If the oil companies could build new refineries they would. A new refinery would be cheaper and more efficient than continued reworking of the existing ones.

Friend you know not whereof you speak.

Vernon