carquest vs napa filters

/ carquest vs napa filters #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
Here's a funny one. i've long heard that car quest filters were inferior to napa filters .. I hadn't really believed it.. just.. at least in my town.. it is a prevailing 'feeling'.

The GC Iwork for has lots of heavy equipment.. so we are doing serviceing daily.

I was ordering filters yesterday, and napa couldn't get me on of the pair of filters I needed.. a 1298.. they had 1.. I needed 2.. or the piece of machinery would be setting. I ended up calling carquest and they had 1 as well.. a 85298 (their number.. take 1 from the napa number, then replace with 85.. for oil.. different for fuel and air.. etc.. )

Upon opening both boxes to compair.. i noticed that neither fitler is marked napa.. or car quest.. both had the same oe number on them.. both had microprinting onthe top exactly like the other.. shows day, date, and time of manufacture.. the 'napa' fitler was made at 12:59, and the car 'quest filter' was made at 1:05.. same day.... exact identical filter must have both rolled out of the same company before being packaged and sold to the retailers...

After that.. it makes you look at the flyspec print on the back of the napa and car quest oil bottles to see what city they came from.. not too hard to see who else bottles from that city.. etc..

Soundguy

/ carquest vs napa filters #2  
Most NAPA filters are made by WIX, looks like they also produce filters for Carquest. Just curious how did the prices compare?
Ken /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ carquest vs napa filters
11.xx for napa.. 15.xx for car quest... ( CQ listed it as a special order filter... go figure.. )

I was simply amazed to see 2 filters from different retailers across town, and have production numbers show up a few minutes apart. Course.. as fast as these are made.. those 5-6 minutes might be 10's/100's of filters in between.. etc..

Soundguy

/ carquest vs napa filters #4  
soundguy napa golds have always been made by wix but only resently have carquest .As you see the box is diff but the filter is not

/ carquest vs napa filters #5  
Napa filter part numbers pretty much are the same as WIX part numbers.

Ben