Time For An Oil Change

/ Time For An Oil Change #1  

roysallis

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 5210, JD 521 Loader, JD MX6 Rotary Cutter, TufLine 6' Disk, TufLine 6' Grader Blade, TufLine 6' Box Blade
My JD 5210 now has 100 hours and the manual says it is time for an oil and filter change. The manual says to use JD PLUS-50 or JD TORQ-GARD SUPREME, or other oils meeting the following specs:
API Service Classification CG-4 or CF-4
ACEA Specification E3 or E2.
This is my first tractor and my first oil change. Can anyone provide some recommendations concerning which oil I should use and any do's and don't's about changing the oil and filter?
The manual also says to replace the transmission-hydraulic filter but the hydraulic oil does not have to be changed until 1200 hours. I guess I will just lose a little bit of hydraulic oil when I change the filter so I will have to add a little. Any comments on this?
Also, I have saved the used oil from my truck to use for bar oil on my chain saw. Will the used oil from my tractor be good for this?
Thanks for your replies.
Roy

/ Time For An Oil Change #2  
Hello.
If your John Deere still under warranty? I would use the recommended oil which your manual suggest,and if you have any doubt visit your dealer.

Changing the oil & hydraulic filter you will notice a rubber seal.
Which ever filter your changing take your finger and use some of the old fluid and coast the rubber seal,than screw the filter on but don't over tighten the filter or you will have a heck of a time getting it of next time./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

Also buy a good filter wrench.
When I change engine or hydraulic fluids I always change the filter,just added protection.

Thats interesting question in which you ask about useing the engine oil for the bar and chain.
I would think that the oil would be to thin for lubrication for the bar.

Take Care. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Thomas..NH

/ Time For An Oil Change
Thomas,
Thanks for the response. I think you are right about using the oil that the manufacturer suggests, especially during the warranty period. In the long run it probably will not cost that much more money. I'll be sure to lube the gasket.

/ Time For An Oil Change #4  
I agree with Thomas; just be sure the oil meets the specs shown in the manual. I use Delo 400 15W-40 motor oil and it's the most popular with the farmers I know in the area, although you'll find on this forum more and more folks changing to the synthetic, especially Amsoil. And I always use a good filter wrench to remove the filters, but put them back on by hand without using the wrench. That gets them plenty tight without over tightening.

Bird

/ Time For An Oil Change #5  
Ditto with the other posts. I just wanted to comment on using used oil for chain oil. I used to do this, but I noticed that my chain bar and sprocket seemed to wear out quicker than they should. Also, when doing some tough cutting, the chain would get hot frequently. I finally realized that motor oil is not a great substitute for bar oil. Try this yourself - just rub some bar oil between your fingers and compare to motor oil. The bar oil is thick and sticky like honey. This help keep it from being slung off the chain so easily. Bar oil is worth the extra small cost. My 2 cents.

/ Time For An Oil Change #6  
The local Kubota dealer uses only 30Weight Kubota branded oil for oil changes unless the customer specifies differently. For some reason I had always used a Rotella multi-weight oil in my previous tractor. Any idea why they use only 30 weight? It is North Texas and pretty hot weather now, but it gets a little cooler in the winter. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Time For An Oil Change #7  
There are a few possibilities: 1) It's very cheap. 2) He hasn't learned anything about oil since 1930. 3) He's got a lot of it lying around that he got a great deal on because few dealers want the stuff.

There may be others I haven't thought of, but they certainly don't involve quality service or products. I'm not saying he's providing poor quality service deliberately. Most likely he just doesn't know any better. But that would worry me almost as much.

I'd ask him. It would be worth knowing.

Mark

/ Time For An Oil Change #8  
John Deere used to recommend 1200 hours or 12 months for the hydraulic fluid. Do they no longer have a time recommendation?

/ Time For An Oil Change #9  
How hard is it to find Amsoil at a reasonable cost?

My Kubota manual does recommend 30 W for above 77 degrees which it will be for 3 months, but recommends either 10W-30 or 10W-40 (also don't know which one would be better) for year around operation. Will probably use 10W-40 since it stays over 90 degrees most of the summer here in N Texas. Holds 11.3 quarts. /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

Kubota also recommends changing the hydraulic fluid at 600 hours but changes both hydraulic filters at 300 hours [ouch]. Holds 55 quarts /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif Not sure I want to buy that much Amsoil, but guess I should decide whether to do it now. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Time For An Oil Change #10  
At a reasonable cost? Impossible./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Bird