Oil filter pressure bypass

/ Oil filter pressure bypass #1  

billboe

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti DK45SC w/ Backhoe
Boy, they do like to make it confusing! /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

I was trying to find the right Wix equivalent oil filter for my L2850… The Kubota dealer gave me one number that translated to one Wix filter and the parts manual gave me another number that, of course, translated to a different Wix filter. After talking to the folks at http://filter1.com, we found that the only difference between the two Wix numbers was the bypass rating. One had a bypass rating of 16 (from Kubota dealer) and the other has a rating of 8-11 (from parts manual). Oh, the first filter was also a bit shorter. I did a little eenie-meenie... and selected the one rated at 16… Anyone have any strong thoughts that I should have picked the other one!?!?!?

Thanks Mucho!

p.s. If anyone is interested, I can post all of the above mentioned the numbers…

p.p.s. As someone has already mention on this forum somewhere, filter1.com seems to be a good outfit (filters haven’t arrived yet, so, I don’t have a final opinion). Their prices are very good and if you order 6 or more filters, they will ship for free. One bad point is their website… It may get better once they setup an account for you, but, I don’t have one yet, so, I can’t comment…

Billboe

/ Oil filter pressure bypass #2  
Is your tractor under warranty? If it is I'd run dealer filters with that wide of difference of filter specs. If you have a failure the wrong filter number gives them an iron clad reason to deny your claim.

/ Oil filter pressure bypass
Long outta warranty!

I chose Wix because of the good words I've read here on TBN... Also, it is Kubota that can't decide on correct filter. Parts book gives one number and dealer chart gives another.

Billboe

/ Oil filter pressure bypass #4  
Kubota offers two grades of filters, one for price and one for quality. It is a little confusing some times when a company does this but it gives the customer more reason to come back. We also give discounts on filters, at 12 mixed applications we give 10% to just like many dealers.

/ Oil filter pressure bypass #5  
art,

<font color=blue>Kubota offers two grades of filters, one for price and one for quality.</font color=blue>

How do you make an informed decision on what you are buying? In each instance when I buy filters from my dealer the price is the same for a given filter but the part number is different the physical outline is different and they fit and seem to work just fine. They are all identified as "genuine Kubota filter".

Do you have a reference to "quality" Kubota part numbers, or "economy" Kubota part numbers? Thanks in advance.

Al

/ Oil filter pressure bypass #6  
On the oil filters the economy seem to come with a 7000 series part number where the good ones start on 1000. We do not chose to sell the economy filters as we have not studied there differences and for the thousands to repair a engine the best sometimes is not good enough. We try to know our customers but we just had a engine with a hole in the block. Three years and only 450 hours and it still hadn't had a oil change. Probably one of his other units was getting changed to much as he has several but this one slipped by. It does make a difference as to the oil and filter used, often there are updates on them for performance. We do get to see a lot more from this end than you might. Kubota did have some problems with there applications but your dealer should be able to address the issues and give you the right one. To spend an extra dollar or two to know you have the right parts is a small price to pay.

/ Oil filter pressure bypass #7  
Art,

I think you nailed it/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif I checked my records for oil filters and this is what I found.

1st oil change

P/N 7000-15241, smaller dia than original and shorter $5.40

2nd oil change

P/N 15241-32093, same outline as the original, $10.06 (receipt shows P/N 15241-32099?)

Third oil change

Same as the second.

Other than the difference between the P/N on the filter and the receipt this makes sense. Thanks for your help/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
Al

/ Oil filter pressure bypass
Thanks for the posts Art!

I was told (by the local dealer) that the 10000 filters were from Japan and the 70000 filters were sourced in the US.

Ok... Here are the different filter part numbers from the different sources.

Info Source______________Part #_________Wix PN*
Carver Email Quote________70000-32091____51068
Wixfilters.com lookup___________na________51068

* Wix part number equiv from http://www.wixfilter.com...

That is 3 different Kubota part numbers from 4 different sources that traslate to 2 different Wix part numbers... Fun Fun!!!

See Ya,

Billboe

/ Oil filter pressure bypass #9  
They do make it confusing!
I was at the Deere dealer's a month or so ago and thought while I was there, I'd pickup oil and filter for a change on my 4300. I took the filter that they gave me and when I got home looked at the filter on the tractor. Lo and behold, different filter (shorter!), different part number. Looked in my manual and it shows only one oil filter number--the old one that's on my tractor. The dealer is about 70 miles away, so it took a while for me to get back there. Parts guy told me that the filter was indeed the correct one, but had been re-engineered to add an anti-drain back valve. Do you think it would have been too much effort to print on the new filter box "Replaces filter M......"?
Bob

/ Oil filter pressure bypass #10  
BrewerBob,

I have had the same concern for the filter on my 4700. The part numbers had changed and the filter was drastically different. Checked with the dealer a couple of times on this one..... /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif I really don't want the wrong filter on the tractor!

You would think they would print the "replaces part number xyz" on the box. Sure would make it easier to verify that you got the right part....

Later...
Dan McCarty