Anything wrong with saving money on diesel fuel?

/ Anything wrong with saving money on diesel fuel? #1  

PineRidge

Tractor
TC-40D SS New Holland
What's wrong with this scenario if anything?

A guy places a 275 gallon oil tank outside of his home and has it filled with off-road diesel for his tractor. Because it's off-road and he's buying in bulk he saves a bundle. Did you also know that home heating oil is priced higher than off-road diesel even though in some areas like my own it's the very same blend right down to the red dye? Anyway he also has the outside tank connected to an underground line that fills the oil tank inside the home that's used for his oil furnace to heat the home. He never mentions the oil furnace to the distributer,

Because off-road diesel is cheaper than home heating oil, has he broken any laws? Should the oil company be mad if they found out, and if so why?

What's your personal opinion is this Kosher?

BTW: I heat with natural gas myself. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I really do.....

/ Anything wrong with saving money on diesel fuel? #2  
If he isn't using it in an on-road vehicle, it is none of their business what he does with it..

/ Anything wrong with saving money on diesel fuel? #3  
Mike, I'm with JerryG on this 100%. I don't see how he could get caught no matter what.

/ Anything wrong with saving money on diesel fuel? #4  
I thought it was the other way around where furnace oil was cheaper since there is no state sales tax but regardless, I purchased oil from a guy and I can burn it as I see fit. I would have no deep rooted moral issues with it.

/ Anything wrong with saving money on diesel fuel? #5  
Go for it.
Bob

/ Anything wrong with saving money on diesel fuel?
Sounds like you guys agree with the way I feel. I'm still really curious how the distributors charge more for home heating oil than the off road when it's one and the same though.

/ Anything wrong with saving money on diesel fuel? #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Sounds like you guys agree with the way I feel. I'm still really curious how the distributors charge more for home heating oil than the off road when it's one and the same though. )</font>

Several reasons. maybe the off-road fuel IS different, it is from my distributor. Or how about a fuel delivery charge added to the price per gallon. Or how about just taking advantage of the poor homeowner who HAS to fork over the money to heat his home.

Business, strictly business.

/ Anything wrong with saving money on diesel fuel? #8  
I think everyone has this right; if you're not avoiding the road taxes by using it on public ways, I don't think the government cares, and if you want to burn off-road diesel in your home furnace that's none of your oil company's business.

/ Anything wrong with saving money on diesel fuel? #9  
OK< I know an indivudual (no names here, ahem /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) that has a 500 gallon propane tank. Propane for home use is the cheapest you can get here. This individual also has a wet line on the aforementioned 500 gallon tank. Does the propane dealership know he uses this wet line to fill his gas grill bottles, his LP tractors, and anything else around that runs on propane (future auto conversions anyone?)? Probably they do. But do they really care? probably not.

/ Anything wrong with saving money on diesel fuel? #10  
Are you sure both fuels have the same sulfur content?