blitz 15-gallon

/ blitz 15-gallon #2  
About a year ago I purchased the 11 gallon version of this tank. I wish they would have had the 15 gallon at the time. I mounted it about 6 feet above the ground, on a shelf of racking. I put a straight pipe from the elbow and extended it out where I could put a water/particle filter in-line. I load it up every other week, and then just drive the tractor under, and fill by gravity. I can take a picture and send it to you if you want.
I say go for it!

Iowa2210

/ blitz 15-gallon #3  
I have a big 300 gallon tank and I will tell you during the winter its better to have some fuel on hand but not too much because it always sits for months. I found the 15 gallon one at Home Depot and was looking at picking it up. It's also good because I painted the 300 gallon one green to keep family from using the gas in it. And at night if someone takes 15 gallons from me it won't cost as much as a full tank.

/ blitz 15-gallon #4  
I've used a platic version for years for snowmobiles and dirtbikes on 'guys' trips. I love it. Its a bear to put on a shelf however along. I would recommend puting a filter on it however.

/ blitz 15-gallon #5  
Just curious, but it says it's designed to be bolted to a trailer but is a gravity feed system. How high would one have to lift the trailer to gravity feed a tractor?

I'm also curious about how one would "ground" the tank if it's being filled in a rubber tired vehicle. Grounding is probably necessary because of the static electricity generated when filling the tank. Not as important as with gasoline, but still probably and important safety precaution.

Fuel and tank weigh over 140 lbs, which is a lot to lift onto a shelf in the barn.

/ blitz 15-gallon #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">(

Fuel and tank weigh over 140 lbs, which is a lot to lift onto a shelf in the barn. )</font>

Thats what I was thinking. It's a little heavy (for me anyway) to be a "portable" solution, and 15 gals isn't enough for me to bother permanently mounting it to a trailer or anything. I would rather use 3, 5gal cans that I can move easily. Although, if this fits the bill for someone it's a lot more sturdy than plastic cans, and having a nozzle can't be beat.

As far as grounding, if you are filling the tank, by inserting the metal pump nozzle into the metal blitz tank you are (rather ineffectively, but adequately) "bonding" to the gas station grounding system through the wire in the hose between the nozzle and the pump.

To fill from blitz tank to tractor, you are correct, there would be no "grounding" unless you drove a 4' copper grounding spike into the ground and then mounted a bonding reel onto the blitz tank and hook it to the spike. If your tracotr fill is plastic like mine, you would then have to hook another bonding cable from the blitz tank or blitz nozzle (doesn't look like there's any bond wire in that hose) to a suitable ground on your tractor to then bond the tractor to your blitz tank ground.

This is how you do a proper transfer between truck and facility in tank farms for thousands of gallons of gasoline or #2, or whatever. I personally wouldn't worry about all that for a 15 gal tank of fuel, or even gas for that matter. No matter what you're filling, car or tractor, you should always touch your hand to the pump, then pick up the nozzle, and then touch your empty hand to the car to dissipate any static. That should be enough to keep it safe for small transfers.

I would worry much more about the ding bat standing there at the station filling the car up while talking on the cell phone and smoking. Geez....I took this from tank usefulness to a safety speech on grounding. Sorry to the original poster. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ blitz 15-gallon
Thanks for all the feedback. These forums are an unbeatable resource for info and opinion.

I decided to get the 15 gal Blitz setup partly becuuse of an unexpected $ windfall. I built a shelf for the unit but have not filled the tank yet. I plan on using the FEL to position the tank on the shelf. I'll let you know how this all works out.

Thanks to all again,
Ben

/ blitz 15-gallon
Thanks for all the feedback. These forums are an unbeatable resource for info and opinion.

I decided to get the 15 gal Blitz setup partly becuuse of an unexpected $ windfall. I built a shelf for the unit but have not filled the tank yet. I plan on using the FEL to position the tank on the shelf. I'll let you know how this all works out.

Thanks to all again,
Ben