Stop leak

/ Stop leak #1  

momark

I know this technically does not belong in this category, but does anyone have a recommendation for what brand or type of stop leak to use for my radiator('63 Ford 4000, gas)? Would like to get through the season with it and take the rad. out in the fall to be repaired. Do you recommend not using stop leak at all? Or is it ok?

Thanks, mark

/ Stop leak
I know this technically does not belong in this category, but does anyone have a recommendation for what brand or type of stop leak to use for my radiator('63 Ford 4000, gas)? Would like to get through the season with it and take the rad. out in the fall to be repaired. Do you recommend not using stop leak at all? Or is it ok?

Thanks, mark

/ Stop leak #3  
Frankly, I'd stay away from any brand of stop leak, especially if you're going to try to get through the summer. Fortunately, changing out the radiator on a Ford tractor is fairly simple (as opposed to doing anything on a Honda automobile!!). IMHO, you're clearly better off doing the repair right and having the peace of mind as you happily work away the summer. The last thing you need is an overheat when the hay is down and the rainclouds are gathering.

/ Stop leak #4  
Frankly, I'd stay away from any brand of stop leak, especially if you're going to try to get through the summer. Fortunately, changing out the radiator on a Ford tractor is fairly simple (as opposed to doing anything on a Honda automobile!!). IMHO, you're clearly better off doing the repair right and having the peace of mind as you happily work away the summer. The last thing you need is an overheat when the hay is down and the rainclouds are gathering.

/ Stop leak #5  
A permanent solution would be naturally a repair or replacement of the radiator.

That said I once used a chemical (can't remember the name) but it is sold at WalMart, comes in a small container, When you pick it up you'll see the liquid in the container looks like it separated from the sealing goo.

Anyway if you follow the instructions on the container right down to, standing on one leg, and reciting a Hail Mary while you pour it in your system then you have a pretty good chance that it will work.

Good luck to you.....

/ Stop leak #6  
A permanent solution would be naturally a repair or replacement of the radiator.

That said I once used a chemical (can't remember the name) but it is sold at WalMart, comes in a small container, When you pick it up you'll see the liquid in the container looks like it separated from the sealing goo.

Anyway if you follow the instructions on the container right down to, standing on one leg, and reciting a Hail Mary while you pour it in your system then you have a pretty good chance that it will work.

Good luck to you.....

/ Stop leak #7  
Sounds like Bars-Leak. I've had some success with it myself, but I was never comfortable with adding goop to what's probably an already clogged radiator. Ditto on the Hail Mary!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Stop leak #8  
Sounds like Bars-Leak. I've had some success with it myself, but I was never comfortable with adding goop to what's probably an already clogged radiator. Ditto on the Hail Mary!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Stop leak #9  
The best solution as said above is to repair or replace the radiator. But I'll relate a true story.
Many years ago an old timer pulled into the garage I worked at with his radiator steaming. It developed a pinhole leak on his trip. While it was cooling down he went next door to the diner to eat and came back with a couple small packets of black pepper. He poured the pepper in the radiator and filled it with water. When he started it the water sprayed out the pinhole but once the water started to circulate the pepper found its way to the pinhole and accumulated there to stopped the leak and he was on his way again. In my younger days when finances were a lot tighter I too tried this temporary repair and went 6 months leak free while I saved up for another radiator. It wont work on larger leaks but for pinhole leaks in the fins it does. Just remember it only temporary.

/ Stop leak #10  
The best solution as said above is to repair or replace the radiator. But I'll relate a true story.
Many years ago an old timer pulled into the garage I worked at with his radiator steaming. It developed a pinhole leak on his trip. While it was cooling down he went next door to the diner to eat and came back with a couple small packets of black pepper. He poured the pepper in the radiator and filled it with water. When he started it the water sprayed out the pinhole but once the water started to circulate the pepper found its way to the pinhole and accumulated there to stopped the leak and he was on his way again. In my younger days when finances were a lot tighter I too tried this temporary repair and went 6 months leak free while I saved up for another radiator. It wont work on larger leaks but for pinhole leaks in the fins it does. Just remember it only temporary.