Kero in diesel truck?

/ Kero in diesel truck? #1  

scesnick

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
My wife put 15 gallons of kerosene in our diesel truck accidently, The kerosene pump was at the same island as the diesel and at a station she doesn't usually use.
She said she realized her mistake and then decided it might be best to put another 10 gallons of diesel in the tank also. ( good thinking)
Now the tank is full with 15 gallons of kerosene and 15 gallone of diesel.
She drove it home. Seemed to run fine. Anything to worry about here?

/ Kero in diesel truck?
My wife put 15 gallons of kerosene in our diesel truck accidently, The kerosene pump was at the same island as the diesel and at a station she doesn't usually use.
She said she realized her mistake and then decided it might be best to put another 10 gallons of diesel in the tank also. ( good thinking)
Now the tank is full with 15 gallons of kerosene and 15 gallone of diesel.
She drove it home. Seemed to run fine. Anything to worry about here?

/ Kero in diesel truck? #3  
Just My opinion , but I'd drain the tank . Kerosene doesn't have the lubricant values of diesel fuel ,so it might harm things like Your injectors ,and fuel pump (s).
You did say that the fill was only 15 gallons . If your tank is 30 ,or so gallons , maybe a healthy dose of lubricity addative will get You by .

/ Kero in diesel truck? #4  
Just My opinion , but I'd drain the tank . Kerosene doesn't have the lubricant values of diesel fuel ,so it might harm things like Your injectors ,and fuel pump (s).
You did say that the fill was only 15 gallons . If your tank is 30 ,or so gallons , maybe a healthy dose of lubricity addative will get You by .

/ Kero in diesel truck? #5  
Unless you have a 2007 model year vehicle which was made especially for ULSD, you will have no problems. Just add more diesel to the mix.

When I owned my service station the diesel fuel in the underground tank was cut with kerosene each fall just before winter blend fuel became available. The usual ratio was 60% diesel to 40% kero.

The mixing of diesel and kero is very common in cold weather climates when the cold weather arrives before the winter blend fuel is available from the bulk storage facility. Usually the mixing by the service station goes unmentioned to the average Joe consumer. I did it for 3 years and never recieved a single complaint and I was a high volume diesel dealer with both commercial and consumer customers.

/ Kero in diesel truck? #6  
Unless you have a 2007 model year vehicle which was made especially for ULSD, you will have no problems. Just add more diesel to the mix.

When I owned my service station the diesel fuel in the underground tank was cut with kerosene each fall just before winter blend fuel became available. The usual ratio was 60% diesel to 40% kero.

The mixing of diesel and kero is very common in cold weather climates when the cold weather arrives before the winter blend fuel is available from the bulk storage facility. Usually the mixing by the service station goes unmentioned to the average Joe consumer. I did it for 3 years and never recieved a single complaint and I was a high volume diesel dealer with both commercial and consumer customers.

/ Kero in diesel truck? #7  
I ran a tank of ~50/50 through an old 5.7 Chevy diesel once. I probably shortened the life of the pump a bit both w/ the mix and the hotrodding (can you imagine an 18 year old w/ a 5.7 diesel p/u?). But I still ran the truck for several years after that incident. I don't think you will do any major damage.
Oh, the incident w/ the 5.7 was also in winter, so I also had 0 gelling issues /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Kero in diesel truck? #8  
I ran a tank of ~50/50 through an old 5.7 Chevy diesel once. I probably shortened the life of the pump a bit both w/ the mix and the hotrodding (can you imagine an 18 year old w/ a 5.7 diesel p/u?). But I still ran the truck for several years after that incident. I don't think you will do any major damage.
Oh, the incident w/ the 5.7 was also in winter, so I also had 0 gelling issues /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Kero in diesel truck? #9  
If you're worried about it,just add some automatic transmission fluid to the fuel.(8-10 Oz.) Farmers have been doing that for years to get some extra lube in the fuel. I have used it when I change fuel filters. Fill the filter half or full with ATF. I now use Lucas fuel additive. But ATF does pretty much the same thing. Either will clean the upper combustion chamber and quiet down a rattling injector pump.

/ Kero in diesel truck? #10  
If you're worried about it,just add some automatic transmission fluid to the fuel.(8-10 Oz.) Farmers have been doing that for years to get some extra lube in the fuel. I have used it when I change fuel filters. Fill the filter half or full with ATF. I now use Lucas fuel additive. But ATF does pretty much the same thing. Either will clean the upper combustion chamber and quiet down a rattling injector pump.